locked
Can't install on HP MediaSmart Server RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi, I just received an HP MediaSmart Server.  I use a Vista 64-bit ultimate machine, so I used the known workaround to install Windows Home Server Console on my x64 machine.

     

    I downloaded PP1, copied it to the Software folder in my MediaSmart Server, then remote desktop into the server, logging in as Administrator.

     

    While in remote desktop, I right-click the WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe and unblock it.  Then I try to run it.  I get the following error:

     

    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

     

    I don't know what to do at this point.  Again, this is on the server itself.  The server is brand new out of the box with the release version of Windows Home Server installed.

     

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

     

    -Eric Harmon

    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:26 PM

Answers

  • I had this same problem. I ended up copying the file to the desktop and running it from there. Once the upgrade was complete I deleted the file from the desktop. So far everything is running well, I'm going to play with some of the changes later today.

     

    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:32 PM

All replies

  • I had this same problem. I ended up copying the file to the desktop and running it from there. Once the upgrade was complete I deleted the file from the desktop. So far everything is running well, I'm going to play with some of the changes later today.

     

    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Eric, the issue is due to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. You can do as njlyle suggests and simply copy the installer to the administrator's desktop, which you should be able to run it. If you can't run it from there, you should be able to remove IE ESC by going through Add or Remove Programs→Add/Remove Windows Components. I would recommend reinstalling it when you're done; it's there to protect you.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:48 PM
    Moderator
  • That did it, thanks.  Now on to trying to install the connector on my 64-bit Vista box and then seeing about getting backup working :-)

     

    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  njlyle wrote:
    I had this same problem. I ended up copying the file to the desktop and running it from there. Once the upgrade was complete I deleted the file from the desktop. So far everything is running well, I'm going to play with some of the changes later today.

     

     

    Thanks, I had this problem & your solution worked.

     

    Regards

     

    PJ

    Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:09 PM