none
Do I need windows desktop search installed on my WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• When I RDC into my WHS box i always see the Windows Desktop search icon in the systray indexing my computer.  Is this software needed?  I don't use the feature.

I would like to remove it, but does anyone know if this will cause un-intended results?  Thanks!

I tried giving this a good search buf found nothing.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It depends!
    If any of your Clients use the latest desktop search, then it's possible to include the Server searches within the Client search to obtain an integrated approach.
    Otherwise, if you wouldn't use the search function, then it is possible to remove it from the server with no adverse effects, or alternatively you could restrict it's search scope if it's operation is detrimental to the server operation.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 7:19 PM
  • Desktop search is the engine behind the Remote Access web site's search feature. Removing it will disable that feature. It's also used to integrate searching across your network. If you have Vista, you can select a server share and use the search box in Explorer on your server shares just as you would on a local drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It depends!
    If any of your Clients use the latest desktop search, then it's possible to include the Server searches within the Client search to obtain an integrated approach.
    Otherwise, if you wouldn't use the search function, then it is possible to remove it from the server with no adverse effects, or alternatively you could restrict it's search scope if it's operation is detrimental to the server operation.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 7:19 PM
  • Modify your Windows Search Options on your server to include your storage shares than you can quickly search your shares from any pc. I find this very useful if I'm looking for a perticular music artist or song title, movie title or tv episode ;)
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Desktop search is the engine behind the Remote Access web site's search feature. Removing it will disable that feature. It's also used to integrate searching across your network. If you have Vista, you can select a server share and use the search box in Explorer on your server shares just as you would on a local drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:58 PM