Upgrade to XP Pro from XP Media Center RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that I can't upgrade from Media Center to Pro, but wonder about the best way to get XP Pro on the computer. Must I begin fresh, with a reformatted hard drive?

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:00 PM
  • Carey,

Thanks for what I was afraid might be your advice - I heard it from another advisor. I have a copy of MS XP Pro - SP2 - OEM, but I see it has limitations, so I decided to go with a full version.

Now, after all the negativity about Vista Business, I'm wondering what is your impression of that OS. Also, if it's not such a bad OS, can it be installed as an upgrade to Media Center?

BTW:  I'm making this switch on my bookeepers desktop so I can more easily and reliably access QuickBooks data from my Dell laptop which runs XP Pro, either within my business network, or with PC Anywhere.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:00 AM
  • Carey, or anyone else, I hope you can respond to my last message (above) re:  your opinion of using Vista instead of XP Pro.

I understand that XP may no longer be available or remain supported after January 31, 2008.

Friday, January 4, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  how can nathan get this medie center write back soon on nateg95965@hotmail.com

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Hello GW,

Thank you for posting in the WGA Forum. As far as providing you with an opinion of which version is best I really can not. There would be some basic factors a user would have to consider prior making an upgrade. First I would read about the different Vista versions. Next what application will you be using Vista for? Example if you are using to log on to a domain then you would want to choose Vista Business or Ultimate. Next you should see if your computer has the capabilities but using the tool available which checks out the computer. There may be some hardware upgrades which you would require. Next would it be cheaper to purchase a new computer with the version of Vista pre-installed. Hopefully this has provided you with additional information for making a decision :-).

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:34 PM