none
Upgrade Connector Software on 64-bit Client? Managed to fudge the 32-bit install. RRS feed

• Question

• So, I just got back from a business trip to find that all my PCs haven't been backed up for a while and they're all showing the red icon. When I double click on the icon in the tray of my (32-bit) laptop, I get:

"A newer version of Windows Home Server Connector is available. To install it now, click Upgrade"

OK, so I click Upgrade. I get:

"This operation cannot be completed at this time."

OK, maybe I can get it via the web page, so I go to http://[server]:55000 and click "Download Now". I get:

"You are not authorized to view this page. HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to an ACL set on the requested resource. Internet Information Services (IIS)"

OK, can I install it directly from the share? I go to \\[server]\Software\Home Server Connector Software and I can see that there are new msi files. I double-click on WHSConnectorInstall.exe and I get:

"This operation cannot be completed at this time."

I double-click on WHSConnector.msi (still on my 32-bit client) and I get:

"Another version of this software is installed..."

I double-click on setup.exe, and it seems like I'm in business. The old version gets uninstalled, the new version gets installed, and I get the yellow icon complaining about the last backup. I'm (relatively) happy.

Now I go to the first of my 64-bit clients, and follow the same procedure (except for trying to install WHSConnector_x64.msi). Exactly the same outcome, except now when I try to run setup.exe I get:

"You cannot install Windows Home Server Connector on 64-bit operating system"

So, my questions are:

1. Why doesn't the simple upgrade work (from the icon or from [server]:55000)?
    2. How am I supposed to workaround 1. on a 64-bit client?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by wbradney Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:33 AM
    Monday, December 1, 2008 6:41 PM

Answers

• I hadn't deleted anything, so the above post isn't directly relevant in my case. What had happened was that the correct version of \\[server]\Software\Home Server Connector Software\setup.exe (that was installed by PP1) seemed to have been replaced by an older version (I suspect as a result of the November 25 update, but I can't prove it). Advice from Microsoft was to launch a command prompt from the Console and run C:\WHS\ConnectorInstallAssistant.cmd, which did indeed restore the correct version of setup.exe and I was then able to install the x64 connector (albeit by manually running setup.exe -- I still couldn't get it to work via the web link or the prompt from the old connector icon).
    • Marked as answer by wbradney Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:13 PM
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I found that on a customers' computer that had problems with installing the new Connector software, was to copy all the needed files to the Clients desktop and then run it from there. It worked fine and I didn't spend any extra time figuring it out, as I was charging for it!

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 7:18 PM
  • I tried that too -- didn't help for me on my 64-bit machine.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 7:50 PM
  • OK,

Is there anything different with that particular machine (apart from 64bit), have you checked the network configuration against a working one, ensured the date/time is correct, (even a couple of minutes difference can cause updates to fail).
    Do you have the latest Toolkit installed as it has a Connector Troubleshooter tool which might help.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Nothing special about this particular machine, it was backing up successfully for months before Nov 25th. No network problems -- I have full access to the shares on the WHS and other machines. Time and Date synchs to microsoft.com just like all the other machines.

I don't know what the "Toolkit" is... I'll look into it, but I'm pretty sure this is a case of not testing the update thoroughly on 64-bit clients.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Oh, and one more thing. Since the WHSConnector_x64.msi was complaining about having a version already installed, I tried manually uninstalling the connector and then re-installing WHSConnector_x64.msi. When I do this I get:

"You cannot run this package directly. Run setup.exe to install"

Of course, when I do that I get:

"You cannot install Windows Home Server Connector on 64-bit operating system"

So as it stands my 64-bit machine has no connector and no means to install one.

Monday, December 1, 2008 10:41 PM
  • So, has anyone been able to install the connector on x64 since the November update?
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 9:23 PM
  • I had no problems on 3 different PCs on 2 different home servers.

Perhaps this post may help ...http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/144dda77-d40a-4fe9-a5bc-bf71fa66b0d5
    Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:26 PM
  • I hadn't deleted anything, so the above post isn't directly relevant in my case. What had happened was that the correct version of \\[server]\Software\Home Server Connector Software\setup.exe (that was installed by PP1) seemed to have been replaced by an older version (I suspect as a result of the November 25 update, but I can't prove it). Advice from Microsoft was to launch a command prompt from the Console and run C:\WHS\ConnectorInstallAssistant.cmd, which did indeed restore the correct version of setup.exe and I was then able to install the x64 connector (albeit by manually running setup.exe -- I still couldn't get it to work via the web link or the prompt from the old connector icon).
    • Marked as answer by wbradney Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:13 PM
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:12 PM