restoring my pc that was running xp home with xp pro installatio cd and product key wont work RRS feed

• Question

• my pc hard drive took a digger and i replaced it but the only operating system software i could find was win xp pro the original software was xp home how can i validate the copy i just want my pc to work again im not trying to steal anythine i guess i would like to trade my xp home for xp pro can anyone help please
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:42 AM

Answers

• You cannot use a Windows XP Home Edition product key with a Windows XP Professional installation CD.  If you cannot find your original Windows XP Home Edition CD, then you'll have to purchase a new one.  Example: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:04 AM

All replies

• You cannot use a Windows XP Home Edition product key with a Windows XP Professional installation CD.  If you cannot find your original Windows XP Home Edition CD, then you'll have to purchase a new one.  Example: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Hello ford 4by4,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Also, please look on the computer for a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If there is a CoA, please tell us what version and edition of Windows is listed on the CoA, and if there is a manufacturer's name or "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" printed on the CoA.  Do not post the product key printed on the CoA.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:20 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Friday, August 13, 2010 9:38 PM
  • You are pointing them to a Windows disc AND license. The original poster only needs a Windows disc, they do not need to purchase a new license since they already have one.
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:42 AM