backing up SQL Server databases RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it necessary to backup the reporting services data bases?  Particularly what about the report server temp db which holds volatile information like cached reports.

thanks

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:19 PM

Answers

• If you're not backing up the transaction log for a database, then I'd suggest you set the Recovery Mode of that database to Simple. This will limit any expansion of the transaction log. See the SQL Server Books Online for more information

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:39 PM

All replies

•  

I usually just backup the reportserverdb. i dont backup the tempdb. I would'nt say its neccessary though. It's as easy as uploading the rdl file again and boom you got your report.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:22 PM
  • I think we all would agree that there is nothing worth restoring from a reportservertempDB backup.  The question has to do with how SQL Server manages the log files.  Without backups (whole or log) the transaction logs can explode.

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:12 PM
  • If you're not backing up the transaction log for a database, then I'd suggest you set the Recovery Mode of that database to Simple. This will limit any expansion of the transaction log. See the SQL Server Books Online for more information

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:39 PM