Hard Drive Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• What the most recommended hard drive configuration.   I have a 1TB WD,  500 GB WD and a 500 Samsung.  I'll use one of the 500's as an unmanaged drive but does it matter which one is used for the system drive?
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:52 PM

Answers

• What the most recommended hard drive configuration.   I have a 1TB WD,  500 GB WD and a 500 Samsung.  I'll use one of the 500's as an unmanaged drive but does it matter which one is used for the system drive?

Not any more.  It used to matter because of the "landing zone" (the primary drive would be the holder of all data temporarily until it was moved to a secondary drive).  But that is no longer the case.  You can use any size drive you want (as long as it's at least ~74 GB in size).
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:47 AM
  • When did the specs on the "landing zone" change? I haven't kept up to date with all WHS happenings and am about to purchase a couple of 1TB drives and also thought that I would have to replace my primary drive with a 1TB drive as it was the biggest.

The "landing zone" concept was pretty much removed with Power Pack 1 (and completely kicked out the door with KB927825).
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:56 AM

All replies

Not any more.  It used to matter because of the "landing zone" (the primary drive would be the holder of all data temporarily until it was moved to a secondary drive).  But that is no longer the case.  You can use any size drive you want (as long as it's at least ~74 GB in size).
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:47 AM
  • When did the specs on the "landing zone" change? I haven't kept up to date with all WHS happenings and am about to purchase a couple of 1TB drives and also thought that I would have to replace my primary drive with a 1TB drive as it was the biggest.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:51 AM

The "landing zone" concept was pretty much removed with Power Pack 1 (and completely kicked out the door with KB927825).
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:56 AM