Backing up question/ Diff. between LiveOne and OneLive RRS feed

• Question

• Several questions from this non-teck granny: I just read through posts re. WIN Live One Care which I am subscribing to, and "One Live Care" which poster subscribed to. What exactly is the difference between the two?

The next q. is about backing up. Q and A doesn't cover it - I suppose MSN believes that everyone knows such a simple thing, but I have no idea:  I am on my second backup disc, using DVD+R. Do I hang onto disc #1, or does #2 totally replace it? Can a DVD+R be reused ? I have one with very little contents on it that I don't know what to do with. Thank you for educating me

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:21 PM

Answers

• The program is called Windows Live OneCare. Some people use different variations, but they are incorrect.

I moved your post to the backup folder, since that is the gist of your question.

OneCare performs what is known as a "full backup" the first time and then each time backup runs after that, it performs an "incremental backup." What that means is that the first backup copies all files that match what you have selected to backup. Each time thereafter, OneCare only backs up any new or changed files and writes them to the backup location, which is DVD in your case. If you need to restore, you will need the complete set, starting with the first disk and including all other disks you have added to the backup set, so keep all of them safely stored.

If you create a new "full backup" you are beginning a new set. If you know you will never need the older set, you can dispose of them at that point, since the new full backup includes all files that match the types selected in your backup plan that were on the computer when you run that new full backup.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:37 PM