End of online support RRS feed

• Question

• 1. If you have the latest Version of Money Plus, which is Version 17, do you need the Sunset edition to manually load .ofx and .qif files after the expiration of online updates, which is less than a month away for me.

2. Is there a way to manually load stock and mutual fund prices into Money?

<RANT>Going to Quicken, with all its bad reviews on Amazon, does not seem like a decent option at this time.  I am disappointed Bill Gates and co. have decided to discontinue this product, I don't buy the excuse about banks having the same abilities as Money does (my Credit Union does not have a method to track other investments)</RANT>

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1. I would give quicken a try regardless of the bad reviews... you might like it

2. I don't buy MS's reasoning either... they just wanted to increase the bottom line regardless of the impact.  I for one will never forget this action by Microsoft and will never trust them with anything as important as financial software again.

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:35 PM
  • You could do as I did & buy a copy of Money on EBay. That will prolong your online access to the day MS shuts off their servers. Not a solution but postpones the inconvenience.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 4:49 PM
  • A1) No. Versions that can load .OFX/.QIF from local files manually will continue to be able to do so.

A2) Some workarounds (at least one Java and one python) have been developed. See http://thefinancebuff.com/2009/09/security-quote-script-for-microsoft-money.html for one of them. Others are detailed in various threads here and in the Usenet newsgroup Microsoft abandoned.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:01 AM
  •  

2. I don't buy MS's reasoning either... they just wanted to increase the bottom line regardless of the impact.  I for one will never forget this action by Microsoft and will never trust them with anything as important as financial software again.

I echo that. Their abandonment of Money has undermined my trust and confidence in them. It seems especially spiteful towards customers because it would not cost them anything to provide some detail of the interface with stock servers to third party developers, so that we could carry on using the investment portfolio.

I have been gradually losing my trust in Microsoft for the past few years. One reason I ended up buying a Microsoft PC last time I upgraded hardware is that I wanted to carry on running MS Money. Next upgrade I won't have that reason to stay locked into Microsoft OS, and will therefore probably switch to Mac.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:41 PM