what can I do If I wanna synchronize two folders which have different names and locations in two devices RRS feed

• Question

• hello all,

I have one laptop (A) and one desktop (B), I wanna sync the documents as below.

A: C:/...../users/.../document/study

B: C:/document

The two folders have different names and locations, and I wanna keep the contents synchronized. 

What can I do? If I synchronize  folder study in A, it will appear on the desktop of B.

I will appreciate if anyone can solve it and specific the procedures 

Thanks

Tao

Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:16 AM

Answers

• If you already have the fodler or folders in your Mesh and synchronizing with the desktop Mesh folder on the other PC, you will need to change the Sync Settings for that folder at www.mesh.com to not sync with the PC where the folder is on the PC desktop. Once the folder on that PC turns into a yellow Windows Explorer folder from a blue Mesh folder you may delete it from the Desktop.

If you have already done the above, or have removed the folder(s) from your Mesh so that they are not synchronizing at all with any device, do the following:

Add the folder on one PC to the Mesh.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:37 PM

All replies

• If you already have the fodler or folders in your Mesh and synchronizing with the desktop Mesh folder on the other PC, you will need to change the Sync Settings for that folder at www.mesh.com to not sync with the PC where the folder is on the PC desktop. Once the folder on that PC turns into a yellow Windows Explorer folder from a blue Mesh folder you may delete it from the Desktop.

If you have already done the above, or have removed the folder(s) from your Mesh so that they are not synchronizing at all with any device, do the following:

Add the folder on one PC to the Mesh.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:37 PM
  • ok, firstly, I have copied the documentations which I need to synchronize from computer A to Computer B.

then, I delete all folder in live mesh desktop and uninstall the live mesh from both computers.

following, I install mesh on Computer A, and added one folder to mesh.

after finish installing mesh on computer B, I have sat up the two folders in different locations synchronized. but there is another problem,

The Mesh find the same folders in two computers and ask me to keep which one, I choose keep Computer A, then a XXXfolder(2) appears on Computer A at the same location.

So what can i do If I wanna keep the same folders I have already copied in both computers without duplicates.

I don't wanna give MESH up..........

I know I can create a new folder for synchronization, but it takes days my documentations is 2 G big with thousand files.

Thanks

Sunday, April 4, 2010 10:49 AM
  • You simply tell Mesh to merge the folders. If the contents will create conflicts, you will need to deal with them one by one.

-steve

Monday, April 5, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Boy, that reply is amazingly unhelpful - if it was 'simple' (as in 'simply tell Mesh...') I don't think people would be posting requests for help.

The concept seems simple - let the user specify the name and location of the folders on both sides of the synchronization - as opposed to being forced by Mesh to have the folder put on the desktop or in the My Documents folders.

Could you post step-by-step instructions for how a user can specify the name and location of the folders on both sides of the synchronization.

Thanks!

Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Boy, that reply is amazingly unhelpful - if it was 'simple' (as in 'simply tell Mesh...') I don't think people would be posting requests for help.

The concept seems simple - let the user specify the name and location of the folders on both sides of the synchronization - as opposed to being forced by Mesh to have the folder put on the desktop or in the My Documents folders.

Could you post step-by-step instructions for how a user can specify the name and location of the folders on both sides of the synchronization.

Thanks!

The step by step instructions for Live Mesh beta, the subject of this forum are found several posts above yours.

If you are using Windows Live Mesh, there is a bug that causes you to not be able to specify the destination folder if the source folder exists as a root folder on the drive. For example, if you have a folder on PC #1 - c:\stuff to be synchronized\, when you add it to WIndows Live Mesh, that folder will sync into the destination PCs \Documents folder and cannot be changed. 

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

Monday, January 31, 2011 1:19 AM