How do you implement 'resume' feature for file sync? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm brand new to Sync, feature that I will need is File Sync in MSF.

1. I'm synching very big files (video) in every sync, is it possible to support 'resume' when connection is lost in the middle of transferring?

2. My sync client is about 5000 servers, what suggestion do you have for me to do file sync between these clients, do I need to enumerate each client and sync with them one by one, or FileSync in anyway have support for multicasting file sync?

Thank you very much for the answer.
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:46 PM Forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:07 AM

Answers

• Hi -

1. There is no way to resume sync'ing of a single file when using the FileSync in MSF. Files that were completely sync'ed the previous time will not be sync'ed the next time but anything in the middle of a sync will be restarted. We have no extensibility points that will let you add support for this at this time.

2. There is no inherent support for multicasting file sync, so these clients would need to sync with each other.

What is your scenario that you have ~ 5000 clients? We have not seen too many scenarios which need that level of peers.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi, hanifku.
    Per question 1 above, I don't think there's a way of resuming the transfer of the file itself.
    If the file is not transferred that means the change is not applied, and the metadata is not updated, so in next sync it will be re-detected, and reapplied.

Adrian
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Hi -

1. There is no way to resume sync'ing of a single file when using the FileSync in MSF. Files that were completely sync'ed the previous time will not be sync'ed the next time but anything in the middle of a sync will be restarted. We have no extensibility points that will let you add support for this at this time.

2. There is no inherent support for multicasting file sync, so these clients would need to sync with each other.

What is your scenario that you have ~ 5000 clients? We have not seen too many scenarios which need that level of peers.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Multicasting support will be good one.  I do have the same scenario say 2-5 different servers for load balancing (as a cost effective solution copying files to different machines).  Currently we perform just by running sych from each other.  Do you have any advice to implement multicasting by ourself instead of synching each other?

Thanks.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:00 AM