Problems with Win 7 - installed as VMs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an MSDN-AA subscription through my University. I am forever, installing Windows 7 (and other Windows series) as a Virtual Machine to run diagnostics on malware and viruses and the like. Because the Virtual Applicance changes spec - I have problems with validation. Usually, the machine only lasts for a few days - but sometimes it must last past the registration point - which is where I get the problems of a non-genuine installation - although it is of course.

I am told I have to request an increase in the number of installs permitted under the license but cant find how or where to do this?

Any ideas?

Friday, February 4, 2011 2:25 PM

Answers

• If you are using a keyless installation you can extend the 30 day evaluation period (grace period) for a copy of Windows by an additional 30 days with the following command

slmgr -rearm

You can do this up to three times for a total of 120 days from installation.

This should help you.

Colin Barnhorst
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 4, 2011 8:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dave A Gordon Friday, February 4, 2011 10:34 PM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:56 PM
    Answerer
  • Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question.

I would recommend contacting MSDNAA support at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/bb250610

(If I am understanding the issue, I think Cbarnhorst's post may help in avoiding some of the issues you describe).

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin MS
    Friday, February 4, 2011 8:28 PM

All replies

• If you are using a keyless installation you can extend the 30 day evaluation period (grace period) for a copy of Windows by an additional 30 days with the following command

slmgr -rearm

You can do this up to three times for a total of 120 days from installation.

This should help you.

Colin Barnhorst
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 4, 2011 8:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dave A Gordon Friday, February 4, 2011 10:34 PM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:56 PM
    Answerer
  • That's helpful thanks - but it does not really answer the question.

Thanks all the same.

Friday, February 4, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question.

I would recommend contacting MSDNAA support at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/bb250610

(If I am understanding the issue, I think Cbarnhorst's post may help in avoiding some of the issues you describe).

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin MS
    Friday, February 4, 2011 8:28 PM
  • ok I guess MSDN-AA - makes sense - thanks for the link.

Also marked Cbarnhorst as an answer - because it will be helpful for part of the problem.

Thanks again

Friday, February 4, 2011 10:35 PM