Connector install fails on Windows 7 with Vail refresh RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed the Vail OS for the second time today and still I get the same errors when trying to install the connector client.

I get 8 of these errors in the Application event log:

Product: Windows Server Code Name "Vail" Connector -- Error 1923. Service '@%ProgramFiles%\Windows Server\Bin\CommonRes.dll,-19' (ServiceProviderRegistry) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

One for each of the following items

1. ServiceProviderRegistry
    2. LANConfig
    3. WSConnectorUpdate
    4. providers_system
    5. NotificationsProviderSvc
    6. HealthAlertsSvc
    7. WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc
    8. WhsMcClient

I've right clicked, run as admin, and still no difference.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:05 AM

Answers

• The April beta failed as well.  However there weren't any Error event, just 4 information events in the event log:

Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi. Client Process Id: 6760.

Product: Windows Server Connector -- Installation failed.

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Windows Server Connector. Product Version: 6.1.7495.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1639.

Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi. Client Process Id: 6760.

At this point, you should probably file a bug report on Connect (using the beta refresh image, not the original).  In any event, have you tried installing the Connector software on another client?
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:43 PM

All replies

• I've installed the Vail OS for the second time today and still I get the same errors when trying to install the connector client.

I get 8 of these errors in the Application event log:

Product: Windows Server Code Name "Vail" Connector -- Error 1923. Service '@%ProgramFiles%\Windows Server\Bin\CommonRes.dll,-19' (ServiceProviderRegistry) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

One for each of the following items

1. ServiceProviderRegistry
    2. LANConfig
    3. WSConnectorUpdate
    4. providers_system
    5. NotificationsProviderSvc
    6. HealthAlertsSvc
    7. WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc
    8. WhsMcClient

I've right clicked, run as admin, and still no difference.

Did you use the original beta from April as well?  If so, did you have any problems installing the Connector software at the time?
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:37 AM
  • I installed the April beta server OS (a week before the refresh) but never got around to doing the connector part and when I read about the refresh, figured I'd tackle it this weekend.  I will reinstall the April beta sever OS and test the connector next.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:12 AM
  • The April beta failed as well.  However there weren't any Error event, just 4 information events in the event log:

Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi. Client Process Id: 6760.
    Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Windows Server Connector. Product Version: 6.1.7495.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1639.
    Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi. Client Process Id: 6760.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:02 PM

At this point, you should probably file a bug report on Connect (using the beta refresh image, not the original).  In any event, have you tried installing the Connector software on another client?
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:43 PM