Administrator Rights RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

If anyone could please help me in this matter. I am the only user on my laptop. I had let a friend surf the net, and he downloaded and uploaded pictures. I found out that I had gotten a virus afterwards. I bought 3 antivirus softwares, and most viruses were removed, but when I try to delete them now, (or any other programs), or acess the control panel, I receive this message:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

Is there any way I can change this? I thought I was the system administrator since I have only one account in my laptop. If anyone could please help me in this matter, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Friday, September 14, 2007 11:29 AM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem...no viruses but this happened all of the sudden... Did you find out anything?  I would appreciate the help.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Hi

i am not to sure what version of windows you are using but this may help:-

XP home or vista home

when you installed xp home did you put in a password of any kind try administrator with that password otherwise

you may find that administrator with a blank password may work

XP Pro or vista business

when you login go to control panel and look at user accounts check that next to your account name says administrator if not click on properties and group membership and change the other to administrator.

hope this is helpful

Cheers

lee

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:28 AM
  • well, I have the same problem but let me tell you something these viruses has changed the user rights from within the registry, honestly I'm trying to find out which keys and values have been changed.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 4:29 PM