Initial client backup much longer with WHS 2011 than in WHS 1.0 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just installed WHS 2011 on my WHS 1.0 server hardware.  The first machine I backed up was my primary desktop--about 300 GB.  This took over six hours.  That's about three times longer than it took with WHS 1.0.

Amazingly, the hardware is nearly the same.  Same desktop, same Gb LAN, same router (DLink DIR-655), same Gb NICs.  I updated the server CPU to Celeron E3400 (from a Celeron 430) and bumped up the RAM to 4GB (from 2GB).  Everything else on the server is the same.

I'm seeing similarly poor initial backup performance on two other machines.  These are backed up via wireless--one N and one G speed.  I performed one backup at a time.

This is pretty disappointing.  Is the client backup architecture the same in WHS 2011 as it was in WHS 1.0? 

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:11 AM

All replies

• I have not used the WHS 1.0, but I was surprised to see the backup times as well. My primary computer (Laptop over wireless network) took a whopping 30 hours to backup (400 GB data). The second laptop with about 150GB data took "just" 9 hours. Further backups are quite fast though, usually less than 10 minutes so far.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Strange, I have the feeling it's really faster than my previous WHSv1, I was pretty amazed by the backup time...

Do you have something else eating bandwirth ?

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:48 AM
  • There were two machines active on the network at the time I performed the initial backup of my primary desktop--the server and the desktop.  I monitored with Resource Monitor to be sure and I didn't see anything unusual.  I noticed that both the client and server only reached about 25% max of the Gb bandwidth according to Task Manager.  I also noticed the server CPU ran between 35 and 50% load most of the time--typically WSSBackup.exe. 

As for subsequent backups, I see in the Event log that WHSv1 was pretty consistent at about 22 minutes from start to finish on the same desktop.  I manually timed a subsequent backup this evening with WHS '11 at 35 minutes.  I'll monitor this to see what trend emerges.

Performing tasks on the server over RDP is quite speedy.  I agree that aspect seems faster than WHSv1.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:19 AM