none
Forum Overview Page, and post in wrong Forum RRS feed

• Question

• Before: In the old design there was a sort of overwiew page, where all Forums (ordered by categories) were listed.

When somebody posted on the wrong Forum for his problem, I just would go to the overview page, copy the link and post it. Also misposts were rather rare (about 1-2 every other day), even on something as central as the Visual C# Forum (wich I now asume was because the Overview existed).

The page could also be used to acess differnt langauge forums. Unlike any other page, changing the interface language changed the links to the native forum for that language. It's wasn't prefectly working (picking Portugal/Portugese failed, but Barzil/Portugese worked). Sometimes people would post on the wrong forum and wrong language, so I could just let google-translate figure out thier post's language and drop them a link.

Now: New Design, the overview page does not exists anymore.

In order to figure out the link for a specific forum, I have to look through my threads (some of the threads I answered too were moved to the proper forum) or this page and hope I find a link to the forum within 10 pages. Wich is really not helping me when helping others.
    Also, missposts got a lot more common. To about a dozen/day on the Visual C# Forum. And most often they even are ASP questions, with the user never having a chance to realise that there is no ASP-Subforum here. The second most common are WPF related question, for wich there is a Sub-Forum (that now nobody can find easily).

And if somebody uses the wrong language, there is no way for me (that I found yet) to get them links to thier Langauge forums.

On a unrelated note, it is also seemingly impossible to add or remove Forums from the MyForums Page. At least I found no menu point or link for it anywhere.

So could we please get the overview page back?

P.S.: I would have prefered to make this a discussion, but for some reason I cannot change the Thread type on this Forum (seems to work on other Forums).

Let's talk about MVVM: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/b1a8bf14-4acd-4d77-9df8-bdb95b02dbe2 Please mark post as helpfull and answers respectively.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I agree the new Forums home page is not useful. What I remember from the past is that the home page showed Forums where I had recently been active. I used that as my starting point. Now I use "My Forums". I don't think I remember the page you are referring to.

The steps to add and remove forums to/from the "My Forums" list has been recently improved, as described in this Wiki article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18476.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-addremove-forums-from-my-forums-list.aspx

To search for forums on the Forums home page, select the "view all" link at the left. If this is not visible, you may need to click the gray arrow icon to expand the list of categories at the left. When you click "view all" you get a search dialog you can use to search for forums. The steps are described in this older Wiki describing the old process (after the forums redesign but before a recent update) to add forums to My Forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8739.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-add-a-forum-to-my-forums.aspx

I also believe I see more questions asked in the wrong forum, but it is impossible to verify or quantify. I have less experience with foreign languages.

I will leave this as a question, since answers could be useful.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:50 PM
  • The steps to add and remove forums to/from the "My Forums" list has been recently improved, as described in this Wiki article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18476.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-addremove-forums-from-my-forums-list.aspx

I suspect that is where the answer about the forum category description should be put too.  E.g. all you need to do is hover over a forum category or forum name in that View All list to see its description.  I think it may be actually more complete information now, just more obscure...  Oops.  Erroneous recollection (or effect of trying IE11 on W7sp1?)   Now I can only confirm seeing forum descriptions while either hovering or explicitly selecting one.   The only other effect for category that I see is a tooltip which just repeats the same name (instead of, for example, expanding on what the name implies).

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, July 26, 2013 8:47 PM
  • The workaround for quick forum finds... a quick Bing or Google search is faster than hunting on the Overview page was for me. So I recommend that.

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:21 AM