Validation problems. RRS feed

• Question

• I had a computer built recently in a local shop.

The computer was purchased without a copy of XP, as i had a legal copy already from a previous purchase of a HP computer 4 or 5 years ago, which i have always used without much problem apart from having to call microsoft for validation a couple of times due to probably too many reformats.

The owner of the shop installed his copy of windows and then changed the oem to mine.

I am now getting the message that my copy of windows is not genuine, and all i can think is that it will not validate because of the reason mentioned above.

Being as i cannot validate by phone, as you do that when you first install, i am a trifle concerned that i may have to do a full reformat, which with the amount of stuff i have on this computer will be extremely inconvenient.

Is there any way i can validate my copy without a full reinstall.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,

I am unsure if you mean Validate or Activate. If Windows hasn't been Activated, then by default, it will tell you it is not genuine untill you Activate it.

Would you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Also, would you explain, in more detail, why you can not Activate by Phone?

Lastly, (and I think this may be the core of your problem) there are 2 types of OEM Windows XP: OEM System Builder and OEM SLP.

OEM System Builder is just like a Retail version and is allowed to install on any computer. (within the rules of the EULA, of course) 

OEM SLP is used by large companys (Dell, HP..so on) and that type of Windows can only be used on the computer it came with. This is because the Product Key is linked to specific files and bios that are only found in the version of Windows that came with the computer and the specific motherboard that came with the computer.

What this means is that if you take the Product Key from a OEM SLP version of Windows and try to install Windows on another computer, using that key...it will not work.

But please provide the information I requested above, so we know what you are using, before we jump to any conclusions.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

--------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:03 PM