Cannot install PP1. Says KB944289 Update already installed. RRS feed

• Question

• As title says. I had the OS up and installed a few months ago, and my system drive died. I reinstalled everything and let automatic updates take care of updating, I figured it was up to PP2 as it said there was no more updates. Well I went to install the connector software on a 64 bit workstation today....and theres no 64 bit connector! Lots of troubleshooting later I realize that I'm still running RTM 3 months later!

When I try to run the PP1 installer, downloaded from the MS website, I get an error popup that says: KB944289 Setup error. Update already installed. I actually tried doing this right after I installed, 3 months ago and got the same error, needless to say, I figured it was already installed.

KB944289 does not appear in add/remove programs; yes "show updates" is checked. When I do a "systeminfo" at a command prompt, KB944289 does not show up in the list of installed updates.

My version numbers from the WHS console:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.6

I really want to avoid reinstalling WHS again, if at all possible.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:25 PM

Answers

• As title says. I had the OS up and installed a few months ago, and my system drive died. I reinstalled everything and let automatic updates take care of updating, I figured it was up to PP2 as it said there was no more updates. Well I went to install the connector software on a 64 bit workstation today....and theres no 64 bit connector! Lots of troubleshooting later I realize that I'm still running RTM 3 months later!

When I try to run the PP1 installer, downloaded from the MS website, I get an error popup that says: KB944289 Setup error. Update already installed. I actually tried doing this right after I installed, 3 months ago and got the same error, needless to say, I figured it was already installed.

KB944289 does not appear in add/remove programs; yes "show updates" is checked. When I do a "systeminfo" at a command prompt, KB944289 does not show up in the list of installed updates.

Did you try updating your server through the Console as well?  If that doesn't work, then you are probably going to have to do a Server Reinstallation (and I would suggest you try using the Console to update your server next time).  The only other option (which is unsupported) would be to see if you have a folder called $NtUninstallKB944289$ inside C:\Windows.  If so, you might be able to uninstall it from there (which would be in a subfolder called spuninst).
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:31 PM

All replies

Did you try updating your server through the Console as well?  If that doesn't work, then you are probably going to have to do a Server Reinstallation (and I would suggest you try using the Console to update your server next time).  The only other option (which is unsupported) would be to see if you have a folder called $NtUninstallKB944289$ inside C:\Windows.  If so, you might be able to uninstall it from there (which would be in a subfolder called spuninst).
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:31 PM
  • As in, Settings->General->Windows Update->Update Now?  When I press that, it says it is up to date.

I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:35 PM
  • As in, Settings->General->Windows Update->Update Now?

Correct.

When I press that, it says it is up to date.

I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Please note I just added one other possible fix to my original response.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:36 PM
  • That did the trick, Thanks alot!
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:06 AM