Restore Won't Find Ethernet Driver RRS feed

• Question

• My wife's XP Boot Camp partition on her MacBook died yesterday and I can't for the life of me get the restore cd to work. No matter what I've tried, the restore cd will not find the ethernet driver (yes, I downloaded the latest restore cd). I've tried downloading the drivers from the WHS backup, from the OSX install cd (viewing the cd in Windows gives you the drivers), and from Intel's website. I ran across another post that suggested using a Vista driver even though I'm running XP since the restore cd is a trimmed down Vista, so that's the version I grabbed from Intel. Each time I put the driver on a USB drive. The drive lights up to indicate that it is working, but restore just won't find the driver. It finds the wireless one okay, but that's apparently no good for a system restore according to the WHS backup tech letter.

My bad for not doing a trial restore a lot earlier. Lesson learned (and about 6 hours wasted so far). I've given up for now and am reinstalling XP from scratch and I'll pull individual files from the WHS backup. Now I want to make sure I'm set for future problems and can actually do a full system restore. Where do I go from here? Can I do a system restore after I get XP up and running again like I used to do with the built in XP backup program?
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 1:37 AM

All replies

• A couple more thoughts I should have put in the first post...

How about connecting the disk as a USB drive on my other laptop and using the client restore wizard? Unfortunately, what I've seen for that seems to indicate that the drive needs to be internal.

Maybe an external USB ethernet adapter? I suppose I could try and pull the one I use on my Tivo and use it on the laptop if necessary (and if the restore cd has the driver built in -- I know I saw a list of what drivers are included somewhere...).

Sunday, March 1, 2009 1:46 AM