My Home Server Config RRS feed

• Question

• Spare parts:

Hydrolic Computer Case

P4-3.0ghz Prescott (I knew it was good for something!!)

Intel PERL motherboard

2gig's low latency Corsair memory

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Western Digital Raptor 34.6 gig 10,000 rpm hard drive to handle the OS

2 Western Digital MyBook Premium 500 gig external eSATA hard drives giving almost a Terabyte of space

Sony DVD-Rom Drive

Buffalo Terrastation 1 Terabyte NAS to backup the Home Server

So far I'm liking the Home Server big time! Easy to set up and manage, unfortunately it only backs up one machine at a time.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 12:34 AM

Answers

•  Ken Warren wrote:
    Viking, you should be careful with backing up the WHS. There's a warning in the release documentation that backup software,even if it looks like it's working, tends to corrupt data on restore.

If you've got backup software that you know is working right, of course, that's great! Just let Microsoft (and the forums) know.

I haven't configured anything yet, good point on the corruption point, I'm testing now so data being backup up to WHS is also being backed up to my NAS. I'm still waiting for the first full backup to complete, then I'm going to check out my options.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:14 AM
  •  koldasice wrote:
    what kind of network card are u using, cause I cant get my to work to save my life

You're going to laugh but for now I'm using a Microsoft MN-130, I have a gigabit Intel Pro 1000 at work that I need to bring home so I can make full use of my gigabit network.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:16 AM
  • My WHS setup is some what cobbled together as I had a computer donated and bought items to top it off, it is as follows:

AsusTek A7N266-VM (nforce1 chipset)

Athlon 1800+

768 DDR1 333mhz ram

Seagate 80gig ide drive (Master, cable 1)

Seagate 400gig ide drive (Slave, cable 1) *new

Liteon DVD burner with lightscribe *new

D-Link gigabit ethernet pci card *new

-------------

The ethernet card was required as nVidia did not make motherboard drivers for nforce1 boards and it was the only device I could not get to work. As WHS is headless, I left the system with onboard video which never will be used.

The system is working like a charm so far without much cpu usage to note.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Sounds like a decent test bed to me. Good luck!
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Ok, finally got the new rig put together. That P4 based system sucks too much juice and is too loud (Prescott, ugh) so it's going to be sold off to recover the cost of the new system.

Intel DQ965GF Executive Series Motherboard
    1.8ghz Core 2 Duo CPU
    1 gig Corsair TWINX
    ATI - Radeon 9250 PCI Video
    1 - 36gig 10,000rpm Raptor (Main system drive)
    2 - Western Digital MyBook 500gig eSATA external hard drives = 966gig's available
    1 - Buffalo TerraStation NAS Server - 1 Terabyte

Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:36 PM

All replies

• what kind of network card are u using, cause I cant get my to work to save my life
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:51 AM
  • Viking, you should be careful with backing up the WHS. There's a warning in the release documentation that backup software,even if it looks like it's working, tends to corrupt data on restore.

If you've got backup software that you know is working right, of course, that's great! Just let Microsoft (and the forums) know.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:43 AM
  • well I found the problem, i used the driver that was off the website and not the windows one, and I can ping my WHS again and connect to it, now when i try to logon it says my account and the one of the WHS dont match, and neither do the passwords, and I made both the same, and as i type i get the windows home server needs your password thing. if u have AIM can u let me know, or IRC somewhere we can chat and possibly fix this. Im almost there
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:53 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Viking, you should be careful with backing up the WHS. There's a warning in the release documentation that backup software,even if it looks like it's working, tends to corrupt data on restore.

I haven't configured anything yet, good point on the corruption point, I'm testing now so data being backup up to WHS is also being backed up to my NAS. I'm still waiting for the first full backup to complete, then I'm going to check out my options.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:14 AM
  •  koldasice wrote:
    what kind of network card are u using, cause I cant get my to work to save my life

You're going to laugh but for now I'm using a Microsoft MN-130, I have a gigabit Intel Pro 1000 at work that I need to bring home so I can make full use of my gigabit network.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:16 AM
  •  koldasice wrote:
    well I found the problem, i used the driver that was off the website and not the windows one, and I can ping my WHS again and connect to it, now when i try to logon it says my account and the one of the WHS dont match, and neither do the passwords, and I made both the same, and as i type i get the windows home server needs your password thing. if u have AIM can u let me know, or IRC somewhere we can chat and possibly fix this. Im almost there

Are you backing up and trying to get to the shares or are you directly on the server?

Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:17 AM
  • ahh its having trouble with the whole password thing, and saying that it needs to be updated. im going to try it on my dads to see what problems it gives me

my WHS is also using like 98% cpu all the time, svchost.exe is the one, I dont know why but its making my system slower than ever.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 12:55 PM
  • Viking, I was really speaking of backing up the WHS itself, not backups from home PCs to the WHS. Those seem reasonably robust so far, as long as you understand that you can get some bad results if you restore files that you had previously excluded from the backup.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:25 PM
  • I got ya.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:23 PM
  •  koldasice wrote:

ahh its having trouble with the whole password thing, and saying that it needs to be updated. im going to try it on my dads to see what problems it gives me

my WHS is also using like 98% cpu all the time, svchost.exe is the one, I dont know why but its making my system slower than ever.

Svchost.exe is a generic host process for Win32 services. Can you share the config for your WHS box?

Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:01 PM
  • I have the same problem.

My configuaration is: 2.93 Ghz Celron D, 512 MB RAM, 2x 250GB WD PATA, 1x 120GB Maxtor PATA.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:50 PM
  • My WHS setup is some what cobbled together as I had a computer donated and bought items to top it off, it is as follows:

AsusTek A7N266-VM (nforce1 chipset)

Athlon 1800+

768 DDR1 333mhz ram

Seagate 80gig ide drive (Master, cable 1)

Seagate 400gig ide drive (Slave, cable 1) *new

Liteon DVD burner with lightscribe *new

D-Link gigabit ethernet pci card *new

-------------

The ethernet card was required as nVidia did not make motherboard drivers for nforce1 boards and it was the only device I could not get to work. As WHS is headless, I left the system with onboard video which never will be used.

The system is working like a charm so far without much cpu usage to note.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Sounds like a decent test bed to me. Good luck!
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Ok, finally got the new rig put together. That P4 based system sucks too much juice and is too loud (Prescott, ugh) so it's going to be sold off to recover the cost of the new system.

Intel DQ965GF Executive Series Motherboard
    1.8ghz Core 2 Duo CPU
    1 gig Corsair TWINX
    ATI - Radeon 9250 PCI Video
    1 - 36gig 10,000rpm Raptor (Main system drive)
    2 - Western Digital MyBook 500gig eSATA external hard drives = 966gig's available
    1 - Buffalo TerraStation NAS Server - 1 Terabyte

Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:36 PM
  • Just ordered 2 more 500gig MyBook external drives from Dell, they have them on sale for $179.00 each!
    Monday, March 12, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Nice box and layout there (I totally dig the classic Marantz I spy on the left...can't beat 70's hi-fi gear!) but I wouldn't use a small drive as a system drive, since Microsoft recommends against it.  Due to the architecture of the server OS, the largest file or group of files you can copy to the server is limited by how big your first data partition is (system makes a 10GB partition, then the rest of the first drive is a data partition).  Even though the 500GB drives add fine to the pool afterward, you'll be limited to at most around 25GB of transfers at a whack.  According to Microsoft, the main system drive should be your biggest.  Bummer that it works that way, a 10K RPM Raptor would be a perfect system drive for a normal Server 2003 install, but Drive Extender tosses a monkey wrench into that whole scenario.

But your setup looks really nice...and gotta love that Marantz!  :)

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:23 AM
  • I agree 100% however at the time I bought the gear the 150gig Raptor's were out of stock at the store I buy my stuff from so I'm waiting for them to get back into stock. This will give me a chance to rebuild using a brand new 150gig 10k Raptor.

As for the Marantz I've had that thing since 1979 and it ROCKS, I love it! I have an AM and FM low power radio station and use the FM for music and AM for old time radio.

Thanks for the reply!

Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:17 PM
  • I just ordered a new 150gig Raptor, SIG eSATA PCI card, 2 eSATA cables for the 500gig MyBook drives and swapped out the chassis to my SilverStone LC-18.

I'll post pics as soon as I get this thrown together.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:08 PM