how to get and save the Product Key for successfully validated Win7 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I just got Win7 Pro validation successful online. The COA sticker on the DVD envelope did not have numbers following the "standard" grouping format to be entered. QUESTION: how do I get the Product Key Number out of my computer for the future, in case I have to reinstall someday? I should have gotten it on the COA label.... Thanks
    Dominiki
    Monday, November 29, 2010 11:40 PM

Answers

• Your product key should be in your confirmation email which serves as an invoice. Also, if you log in to the MS store where you purchased your product your key should be stored there. If you have an issues locating the key I would suggest you visit the sight you purchased the key from, look for contact information and contact them.

I fear Dan is 100% correct in his assertion that you may be validated due to the 30 day grace period. If you submit a report (link available in the advice for those seeking answers sticky or at the top of the index to the forum) we can see if you are using a default key (which would validate for 30 days).

When you recieve the media from an MS store purchase made online you only recieve the media, the key was delivered electronicly. Double check your MS store account and email.

• Marked as answer by Dominiki Saturday, December 4, 2010 5:55 PM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hello Dominiki,

A fresh installation of Windows 7 can be in the 30-day keyless installation "grace" period and still Validate at www.microsoft.com/genuine.

Product Keys for genuine Windows 7 licenses are provided as follows:

1.  If you purchased a downloaded electronic distribution directly from Microsoft, the product key was displayed to you during the ordering process at http://store.microsoft.com and can be accessed any time by logging onto your account at the Microsoft Store.

2.  If you purchased a traditional Full or Upgrade packaged retail product with installation discs, the product key is of course located inside the package, printed on a yellow-orange Proof of License sticker.  It is NOT on the CoA, which is located on the outside of the package, and which "splits" in half when the package is opened.

3.  If you purchased a systembuilder/OEM licensing kit, the product key is indeed printed on the Certificate of Authenticity label, which is concealed inside the white cardboard overpacking that has the systenbuilder Terms printed on it.

The only time I have seen an "envelope" with a Certificate of Authenticity on it, the product was a Technoogy Guarantee Upgrade from a major computer manufacturer meant to be distributed to someone who purchased a computer with Windows Vista preinstalled by said manufacturer within the timeframe near the release of Windows 7.  This Tech Guarantee upgrade copy of Windows 7 was to be used on that person's previously purchased major brand computer to upgrade their Vista installation to a W7 installation.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:10 AM
  • hi Dan,  this is how it all began,,,,

Get Windows 7 Professional for $29 -- If You're a Student

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201709/get_windows_7_professional_for_29_if_youre_a_student.html?tk=nl_wvx_h_cbstories

Which took us to a Microsoft site offering Windows 7 Professional ,,,

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

and the offer was ,,, “Click here to purchase Windows 7 Professional from Digital River

Which took us to another window asking for “University/School Email Address”,,,,

The cardboard envelope with the DVD that I received, installed and validated online successfully has a MS COA-looking label, 3 barcodes, strip, etc. with same format as the sample provided in the link below:   Mayor difference of course is that mine has Windows 7 product name.

http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/popup.aspx?displaylang=en&fid=63

However those numbers there were not accepted by the validation web form provided by Windows authentication process.    I had to do it online, and at the end of two darn hours I got a “Windows validation was successful” message at the link below.    Please, don’t ask me now how I got there in the first place.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/DownloadValidationSupport.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=31a8cc6d-72b5-45b6-b411-69701c1d7f77

The validation was "legit" and I have that redone several times as I installed WinXP Mode, MS Security Essentials, etc, etc, etc.

So, the question remains:  where is my Product Key numbers????

Your extensive explanation indicated to me your desire to help the best you could with the initial information I provided.     I appreciate that effort and thank you for that.   

Regards,    Dominiki

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Your product key should be in your confirmation email which serves as an invoice. Also, if you log in to the MS store where you purchased your product your key should be stored there. If you have an issues locating the key I would suggest you visit the sight you purchased the key from, look for contact information and contact them.

I fear Dan is 100% correct in his assertion that you may be validated due to the 30 day grace period. If you submit a report (link available in the advice for those seeking answers sticky or at the top of the index to the forum) we can see if you are using a default key (which would validate for 30 days).

When you recieve the media from an MS store purchase made online you only recieve the media, the key was delivered electronicly. Double check your MS store account and email.

• Marked as answer by Dominiki Saturday, December 4, 2010 5:55 PM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Hi Carl,  (and many thanks to Dan, of course),

Your three assessments are CORRECT.   I found my invoice e-mail in my Spam folder,,,, (slap, slap, slap).    Everything is OK now.

God bless you guys for taking the time to help others.  I believe that somebody, sometime, will return the favor.

Regards,    Dominiki.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 6:03 PM