Credential Manager on Windows 7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am trying to use Credential Manager to remember one username/password for all logins within my network and outside the network. Having to authenticate each time  you want to access a link or network resources is time consuming and a nuisance. So far when I input the credentials in Credential Manager and try to access any of the links, like sharepoint/crm/owa, etc or any other internal application it keeps asking for my password. I can see it stores the user credential because that's filled in and it probably stores the password but does not fill it in and instead I have to re-type it in. Now I could do the "Automatic Logon with current username and password" from IE security settings for my trusted sites but I would still have to input the credentials in at least once for each link before not having to input anytime the next I want to access that link. The goal is to login using your AD login and not have to re-authenticate each time you want to access something. Now, another issue is that when setting the "Automatic Logon with current username and password", we are unable to access the links by DNS but only by IP otherwise the sites work fine when the option is off. So if we could have a single login and not have to re-authenticate every time when within the network and access links by IP and DNS from the outside, whether using credential manager or not that would make for the very least someone's life easier!

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:52 AM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:53 AM Off topic. (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Getting Started and Upgrading)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:14 PM

All replies

• No, do I have to repost this question in the correct forum or will you post a redirect link?
    Friday, September 18, 2009 4:03 PM
  • No, do I have to repost this question in the correct forum or will you post a redirect link?

I don't know what forum you should post to. Your post was moved here since you posted to the Microsoft Security Essentials beta forum, hence the reply from PA Bear asking if it was installed. If it is, then we'll move you post back there, assuming that there may be a relationship with your problem and MSE. If MSE is not involved, you will probably need to find the correct forum or discussion group to post to. Here is a portal listing most of the forum categories on Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 18, 2009 6:47 PM