Windows XP Home Product Key Change Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning all,

I have recently had to reinstall my XP Home due to it bluescreening all the time. The computer i reinstalled to had been purchased with XP pre-installed and no backup disc?!

Therefore i had to borrow a disc to install the OS with. When i tried to enter my product key during the setup it would just say it was invalid. I have tried changing it at the activation prompt but it still tells me it's an invalid key.

Is there any way for me to resolve this issue without cracking the genuine certification and not recieving all the MS product and security updates?

Saturday, January 13, 2007 9:04 AM

Answers

• Stitchup,

Properly licensed computers wih XP preinstalled come with a method to recover or reintall the Operating System.

In your case, be sure that you are using a systembuilder/OEM CD.  You will get the error you describe when the OEM product key on your COA is used with a non OEM CD.

Once installed, use telephonic activation to activate.

Saturday, January 13, 2007 9:18 PM

All replies

• How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us
    Saturday, January 13, 2007 12:38 PM
  • Stitchup,

Properly licensed computers wih XP preinstalled come with a method to recover or reintall the Operating System.

In your case, be sure that you are using a systembuilder/OEM CD.  You will get the error you describe when the OEM product key on your COA is used with a non OEM CD.

Once installed, use telephonic activation to activate.

Saturday, January 13, 2007 9:18 PM