none
How to Permanently delete a folder inside a VSTS project? RRS feed

• Question

• I have folders within both VSTS and TFS that I need to permanently delete. On TFS this was quickly done using the

tf destroy $/<MyProject>/<Folder_To_Delete>

command in a command window on the server the TFS is running on.  The web page in docs.microsoft.com that describes the "tf destroy" command (Https:// docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/tfvc/destroy-command-team-foundation-version-control) shows that this command is also available for VSTS however I have been unable to get the command to work within a Developer Command Prompt window running on my local box.

tf destroy $/<MyProject>/<Folder_To_Delete> /collection:https://<MyTeamService>.visualstudio.com/<MyProject> /login:<userid>,<password>

The error I receive back is

TF31002: Unable to connect to this Team Foundation Server:
    Team Foundation Server Url:

Possible reasons for failure include:
    - The name, port number, or protocol for the Team Foundation Server is incorrect.
    - The Team Foundation Server is offline.
    - The password has expired or is incorrect.

Technical information (for administrator):
    The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

However if I put the URL into a browser my VSTS instance shows up.  So the 404 looks to me like azure is blocking outside efforts to permanently delete on VSTS. I have logged onto the Azure portal expecting to find something like the Advanced tools option you find on a Web App Services  But the Team Services / Team Projects  has nothing like this.  Can someone explain to me how to properly execute the "tf destroy" command on Azure Team Services?  Or does VSTS not support the destruction on individual folders and files?  Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for your posting.

But this forum is for Visual Studio IDE issues, since VSTS and TFS forums has been shutdown on MSDN and removed to Developer community.

For VSTS and TFS issue I suggest you post the thread on Developer Community or Stack Overflow where you'll get better help from MS support engineers.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:41 AM
  • I am disgusted with Microsoft.  My post to the Azure forum, which is part of Azure where I posted originally, has been once again pawned off on another forum.    Developer Community wants read access to all the source code my company has created on Azure.  That is totally unacceptable for just wanting to post on the Microsoft Forums for some help.  Below is the demand I get from Microsoft when trying to report an issue with VSTS.

Visual Studio developer Community                      by                      Microsoft Corporation                                  

App requests the following permissions from:XXX@XXX.com (Microsoft account)            

• User profile (read)
    • Grants the ability to read your profile, accounts, collections, projects, teams, and other top-level organizational artifacts.
    • Identity (read)
    • Grants the ability to read identities and groups.
    • Learn More

If you change your mind at any time, you can manage authorizations on your profile page.    

Accept                              Deny

By clicking Accept, you allow this app to perform the above actions on your behalf and you agree to Microsoft Corporation Terms of Use and Privacy Statement.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:25 PM
  • To the issue looks like you can contact support directly here.

https://www.visualstudio.com/team-services/support/

To the feedback; no one will read it here, better to post here on uservoice.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-visual-studio-team-services

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:34 PM