WHS Host VMWare Server Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple questions about WHS setup and configuration and I figured this is probably the best place to ask. Here is what I would like to accomplish.

Windows Home Server running as a host for VMware server hosting Ubuntu Jeos. I can handle the configuration of Ubuntu and VMware Server but, what I need assistance with is if I have a custom domain I.E. mysite.com.

Currently the WHS login portal appears when I access mysite.com. I would like to figure out how to change it so that when I go to mysite.com it goes to the Ubuntu vm running a lamp and when I go to whs.mysite.com it goes to the whs login page running IIS.

I already have it setup so that mail.mysite.com goes to an offsite email provider. I just don't know how to change WHS so that it knows to forward mysite.com to another IP address and to send whs.mysite.com to itself.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:00 AM

Answers

• No. For more information on configuring host headers in IIS see e.g. this Microsoft Knowledgebase article . Briefly, though:

Host headers allow one IP address (your physical server) to serve multiple web sites, depending on what was requested by the client (browser). Your guest OS will have a separate IP address (internal to your network and presumably non-routable). URL redirection will also not work in this case, as you don't have a separate external IP address to forward the request to.

If your ISP offers it, and if your router supports it, you can obtain a second external (WAN) IP address from your ISP and configure your router to forward that to the guest OS. Or you can install a reverse proxy server (there are open source options) on a computer which would sit on your network and forward requests to either your server or the guest OS as appropriate. Getting additional IP addresses from your ISP may require you to step up to a business class of service, which is likely to be significantly more expensive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by norjms Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:18 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:13 PM

All replies

• What you're trying to do is unsupported, so the help you'll receive here is likely to be limited.

In general, what you need is a reverse proxy server. This is software that intercepts all inbound network requests and determines which of several (physical or virtual) servers to forward the request to.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Can this be accomplished using host headers?

Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:31 AM
  • No. For more information on configuring host headers in IIS see e.g. this Microsoft Knowledgebase article . Briefly, though:

Host headers allow one IP address (your physical server) to serve multiple web sites, depending on what was requested by the client (browser). Your guest OS will have a separate IP address (internal to your network and presumably non-routable). URL redirection will also not work in this case, as you don't have a separate external IP address to forward the request to.

If your ISP offers it, and if your router supports it, you can obtain a second external (WAN) IP address from your ISP and configure your router to forward that to the guest OS. Or you can install a reverse proxy server (there are open source options) on a computer which would sit on your network and forward requests to either your server or the guest OS as appropriate. Getting additional IP addresses from your ISP may require you to step up to a business class of service, which is likely to be significantly more expensive.
    • Marked as answer by norjms Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:18 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:13 PM