The Future of One Care RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just got the email informing me that One Care is to be discontinued in late 2010.  Will One Care be spun off into an independent company, or will we One Care users have to migrate to someone else like Norton?

ljc
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:08 PM

All replies

• I just looked a little further and found this:

Thursday, August 20, 2009, 10:06:24 AM
    | Stephen Boots

No, OneCare will not be incorporated into the operating system. When your OneCare subscription ends, you will receive information about options for transitioning to the free antivirus product currently being beta tested, Microsoft Security Essentials. If you choose to upgrade to Windows 7 prior to the end of your subscription, you'll need to get a different antivirus product until MSE is released as OneCare will not run on Windows 7. If you choose to use MSE, you do not need other antivirus/antispyware protection, nor should you install any as that would be a conflict.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator

Keep us informed!!

ljc
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Microsoft Security Essentials has been in beta now since late June and recently had a second 'refresh' (upgrade) released to the beta testing group.  Other than some minor upgrade issues for some users, it appears to be nearly ready for release, hopefully on track for around the time of the release of Windows 7 itself in late October.

Though Microsoft will inform you directly at the time as they have already, you may keep an eye out here, since I'm certain there will be many discussing the conversion at that time.

Rob
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:09 PM
  • I recently read in a leading consumer magazine ratings of antivirus programs that OneCare became a free program effective in Jun09! I just purchased a subscription in Jun09, so just my luck... is it true that OneCare is now free?
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 2:14 PM
  • One Care is not free. There will be a new free product available later this year called Microsoft Security Essentials which will provide malware protection only and will not have any of the additional features included in One Care.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 4:22 PM