XP SP2 Genuine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

My laptop uchasde last September came with XP SP2 which wsa duly registered and activated. Automatic Update functioned regularly and I gt IE 7 and WMP 11 as well as access to the WGA special offers site.

Yesterday evening Automatic Update functioned and added some new KB's.

This morning just after the login process I got a message saying my copy of XP required activating but when I clicked to activate on line Windows could not connect despite I have an ethernet

and wifi connection whch were both in operation ( my desktop was connected).

Result was I had to use my restore CD to get things going again... which meant reinstalling all the other stuff I had on the PC!!!

This kind of thing happened some months aqo on my desktop with similar consequences. It was  a bit easier because I have a Widows XP SP2 update CD for the Millenium OEM that came with the desktop.

On that occasion I was unable to get any confirmation from Microsoft France as to whether the problem was

a WGA bug but ZDNet newsletter supplied confirmation of this later !!

Is WGA still causing trouble with genuine software?

Thank you for any ideas on the subject although it's a pity Microsoft has such poor customer support!

William

Thursday, April 5, 2007 1:22 PM

Answers

• William,

Could you post the link to the ZDNet article regarding the WGA bug?  Thanx!

Friday, April 6, 2007 1:39 AM