More questions on what hard drives to add.... Performance RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 2 x 1TB SATA drives inside my WHS case, and am thinking of adding more....  A bunch of questions:

Internal SATA/ USB/ or eSata?  Does it make much difference that the USB connection is slower than the internal SATA or external eSata connection? Is there a limit on the number of drives that may be added?  Does it make any difference that the drives are of different sizes?  Is it better to have an even number of drives (always buy in two's)?

The current server has no eSata connection, so unless there is a perceptible difference in performance that probably is not the way to go.  The external drive has a few benefits over the internal, so again, if there is no perceptible difference in performance I'll probably opt for the USB drive(s).  Lastly, one drive is cheaper than two, so if there is no perceptible difference in performance....

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:46 PM

Answers

• Ronald,

Essentially, the hard drive performance isn't a deciding criteria for the WHS. The other overheads in operation tend to mask any speed-up of a fast drive.

Saying that, I never now use USB drives in the storage pool for any of the servers I sell, they are only used as a portable off-site backup device for the customers who ask for it. There have been so many nebulous problems with them, from drives apparently missing because it hasn't started soon enough to be recognised, to  their own power-saving settings stopping the drives working altogether! Also, if you do use external drives as part of the storage pool, each drive must be on it's own USB Controller.

If you have the space, certainly internal drives are the best option, so SATA drives would be the first choice.

HTH,

Colin

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 4:55 PM