Please help - Indexed pages dropped from 35 to 1. RRS feed

Answers

• It shouldn't but what makes it tough is we made those changes at about the time the bot suddenly started browsing.  You have validated the site?  Perhaps try revalidating (authenticating) which I think we did and I believe the XML file has to be UTF-8 but check the notes in the tools.

Keep in mind it's not perfect even when it's indexed.  We show 1350 pages which is awesome but we only have about 1k, so I have no idea what else it is indexing.

Have you considered a link on goguides.com or similar?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:03 PM

All replies

•  

We went through some very similar issues a month or two ago.  It should stabalize over the coming weeks so long as you continue to build solid links to your site.  Although we supposedly have all of our pages indexed there are still many not showing at all such as the leeds emerson twist pen and leeds color block beach tote are still not staying listed.  We still don't know what causes them to move up and down and vanish entirely.

How long has your site been active in the current form?  Have you changed the navigation structure at all?

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:56 AM
  •  PromoManagers.com wrote:

How long has your site been active in the current form?  Have you changed the navigation structure at all?

Only a about a month, in present form.  The nav structure was very different prior to the redesign, but it hasn't changed since.   Live had no issues whatsoever indexing the new site between then and the 19th.

Your issues back in december seem very different to me, your pages were not getting indexed at all, mine and several other folks were indexed and showing up just fine for keywords they should be, then suddenly all but the homepage gets ripped out of the index. 

The new site was being indexed, showing up, and performing well in Live, then suddenly the bottom dropped out.  I would be a lot more relaxed, if the behavior was somewhat similar to Yahoo and Google, where there is extremely slow but steady progress.  That's the real scary part, Live was indexing the new pages, adding them, updating the old ones, much better and faster than both Yahoo and Google, right up until the 19th, then boom.  As of now I am up to 40 pages in Google (all of the new ones, 4 links from before the redesign), 28 in Yahoo, and 1 (the home page) in Live.  Before this happened I had 35-40 (it bounced up and down) in Live, 32 in Google, and 17 in Yahoo.  Since the 19th, Live has been extremely consistant in ONLY listing the home page.  If, during the many times I checked webmaster tools each day, I occasionally saw more than just the home page, that would also make me feel more comfortable that it might somehow correct itself.  The number of indexed pages no longer bounce up and down, pages don't get added or subtracted from the index, it just stays stuck there, at 1.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:55 AM
  •  

I just checked your site in Live.  You are in a better position than we were in at this stage a month or so ago.  I can find your site by typing in SylvanChristian where ours was only located with site:  The good news is you are indexed which puts you ahead of promo padfolio site at this time last month.

You show only one link to your site in Google.  You should try to get a few good quality links into your site from related organizations, camps, charities etc.  That will really help and should hammer down the page counts.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:11 AM

I just checked your site in Live.  You are in a better position than we were in at this stage a month or so ago.  I can find your site by typing in SylvanChristian where ours was only located with site:  The good news is you are indexed which puts you ahead of promo padfolio site at this time last month.

Yes, agreed, not so similar, but you had to work your link in somehow.  Not sure who you really think you’re fooling.

PromoManagers.com wrote:

You show only one link to your site in Google.  You should try to get a few good quality links into your site from related organizations, camps, charities etc.  That will really help and should hammer down the page counts.

Not sure what you are talking about, I have lots of links from "related organizations, camps, charities etc." on Google.  Actually, I have 19 links, to be precise.  I have over 17 on Yahoo, and have at least 10 (all they will display) on Live.

Quality backlinks != lame canned responses with your URL conveniently included.  Please at least try to come up with helpful information rather than cool-aid based rhetoric if you are going to troll my posts.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:41 AM
  • Sorry promo, I overreacted last night, I really didn't mean to be such a jerk.  I guess when I checked site: last night, I forgot to refresh.  I am not sure why Google suddenly is only showing one link there.  In Google webmaster tools it still shows 94 backlinks.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:35 PM
  • Not sure why this happens. I sometimes think it is backlink related. For example if a site like a directory that is seen as a linkfarm has you linked but the site is getting penalized, could that affect the sites it is linked to? And what if you are one of those sites?

I have a few different sites. One is a tiny 3 page site. It at one time could be easily found in Live but now it is only found either through directly entering the url or doing a site: search. Google and Yahoo have no issues with this site.

Today I was checking top search terms in Google webmaster tools for this site and found one of those website content scraping proxy sites linking to me. They steal your content and then place ads using AdBrite in select content. It even scraped a high profile forum page my site is linked to. When I tried to view that page, it caused a fault in my firefox browser shutting me down. I forwarded the problem to firefox.

Could Live be picking up that this proxy site has my page and Live is now not showing my site because Live bots detect the duplicate page? Possible.

If that were true though wouldn't Google and Yahoo also not show my site?
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:29 AM
  •  

If you think getting the links in here helps it doesn't.  If it did there wouldn't be hundreds of people with indexing issues after listing their sites.  Indirectly I think it may actually have a negative effect over time.  I listed specific pages as we track on a daily basis bot activity.  Others have found some of it useful and on two occassions a user here found something we'd missed on the particular page and we got it corrected - bad html or other errors.   When I give examples those things really happened.  When Live was skipping pages earlier on it was because we had left the & in several spots on the anchor text.  Again someone here caught it.  Should it have had an effect?  Probably not but it was an error in terms of the html/xhtml code.

I checked Google, still only 1 link as of tonight but with a page rank of 2.  Live - I can't get live to show any links ever as usual so I'm not sure of the count.  You have 20 or so in Yahoo.   Most here will tell you that is absolutely not enough for Live to consistently index your site.   I wouldn't worry much about Google not showing many backlinks, usually it does not.

As I said before you are ahead of the game.   You are in the active index, most here with problems are not.  But you will need to build your links in from other sites to have much success with live.  That's based on personal experience.  The links have to be related to your site which should be fairly easy for you to do.   Remember link "velocity" is also supposedly important so don't get 20 links in a day, nothing, 100, nothing for weeks etc.  You are much better off with a slow, natural building of links to your site. 

Your page also fails the w3c page validator for the transitional XHTML type.  You can run it yourself here and try to correct the errors.  Whether or not it helps?  http://validator.w3.org/

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:53 AM

As I said before you are ahead of the game.   You are in the active index, most here with problems are not.  But you will need to build your links in from other sites to have much success with live.  That's based on personal experience.  The links have to be related to your site which should be fairly easy for you to do.   Remember link "velocity" is also supposedly important so don't get 20 links in a day, nothing, 100, nothing for weeks etc.  You are much better off with a slow, natural building of links to your site. 

I don't understand why, if my issue is backlinks, Live was indexing and including my site perfectly, with my site showing up correctly for relevant keywords, right up until the 19th.  My backlinks in Live Webmaster tools had not changed during that time, so it's not due to some new disreputable site linking to me.

PromoManagers.com wrote:

Your page also fails the w3c page validator for the transitional XHTML type.  You can run it yourself here and try to correct the errors.  Whether or not it helps?  http://validator.w3.org/

This also hasn't changed.  I validate everything before I launch anything.  Unfortunately, the client insists on having a marquee, and I toyed with the idea of doing it with JS, but it seemed silly to add a bunch more sketchy client side code just to appease the validator.  The geo:lat/long stuff is correct per the w3c documentation, and the namespace is properly declared, so I am not sure why it's complaining.  I should probably just rip that stuff out, I was just trying to be ready for the future.  Some of the other pages have one or two errors output by .net rendering built in controls (asp:calendar for example), when I could I did the stuff manually, but that was not always a viable option.  I highly doubt any of these issues would choke the bot.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:48 AM
  • It shouldn't but what makes it tough is we made those changes at about the time the bot suddenly started browsing.  You have validated the site?  Perhaps try revalidating (authenticating) which I think we did and I believe the XML file has to be UTF-8 but check the notes in the tools.

Keep in mind it's not perfect even when it's indexed.  We show 1350 pages which is awesome but we only have about 1k, so I have no idea what else it is indexing.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:03 PM

It shouldn't but what makes it tough is we made those changes at about the time the bot suddenly started browsing.  You have validated the site?  Perhaps try revalidating which I think we did.

Huh?  What do the changes you made have anything to do with my problem, you allready stated your case was different, and I agreed. 

I validate my site all the time, I checked it both yesterday and today.  I am aware of every error.  I documented each one for you in my previous post.  I find it strange someone with 30 validator errors on their home page would be so concerned about my 7 errors (which is actually only 2 (5 errors are spit out because I need to use a marquee tag) + (2 are due to geo coding code)).

PromoManagers.com wrote:

Please leave me alone, you're not helping at all, and you're just adding tons of needless additional frustration.  You refuse to listen to what I say, or reply to my questions in any logical fashion.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Promo, you seem to be having great luck, could you take a look at this site and tell me what you think

www.BOConline.com

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:39 PM
  • Uze  - good luck.

I just wanted to clarify that response for anyone else that later reads, I was speaking of Live validation/authentication of sites which is totally different than validating for HTML errors. 

http://webmaster.live.com/    The xml file you create is I believe supposed to be UTF-8 I think.

Ahop did Microsoft ever get back to you on your situation?  It shows as cached on 2/22 when I check live here where most of us that were having problems weren't getting indexed at all.   Odd, your site's been around for 8+ years in similar form, looks great, good links, good information.   Has Jeremiah offered any ideas or assistance?

The only other thing I can tell you for sure that occured around the time of MSN picking our site up is that we switched sitemap programs to one that included the LastMod information.  No way of knowing if that made the difference though and I doubt it did.  What are some of your competitors sites?     Your site looks great.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 5:37 AM
    ... and I believe the XML file has to be UTF-8 but check the notes in the tools...

Boy do I feel stupid.  PromoManagers is Awesome, and I am a Stinkey McStinkface. 

Everything's working great again, thanks to her.

Here is more detail:
    My sitemap was declared as being UTF-8

Code Snippet

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

The file however, was not actually saved as utf-8, and/or had funky line endings.

So why is PromoManagers so awesome?  Well, she figured out the problem, and still was nice enough to point it out, even though I was/am/willalwaysbe a lint licking cootie queen.

Why am I being so hard on myself?  Well:

• I got frustrated way too easily with someone who was honestly trying to help.
    • I used to catch this issue in peer code reviews all the time, it was something that happened all the time once we moved to editing in VS (years ago).  Although, we had problems with files being declared iso-8895-1 and being saved utf-8.
    • I used to do development for a major search engine, and spent many, many, many, hours finding/fixing encoding issues.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:28 AM
  • Promo-

jeremiah never offered any suggestions that could help, it was the same canned results as everyone else..he even said that the back links werent that good....where did you find the cached page fron 2/22 at when i search i get the same thing everytime its either "were you looking for bcconline" like i have heard of that, or when i search by site:boconline.com i get no results. i actually spoke with one of the live search product managers but he hast gotten gack to me yet.

Friday, March 7, 2008 9:44 PM