Help my server has farted! RRS feed

• Question

• Have whs running on a P8SCT mobo, 4 gigs of ram. RDC400 with 3 500's and a 250 in it. Running off an Areca 4 channel. My main boot drive is a WD green (new like 6 months) 1 TB, listed as channel 2 Master Boot. This morning I got a drive failing warning, well my shop isnt exactley enviromentally sound so I figured ok what the ____, lets pop it out of the rack and give her a good blow. I blew all the dust out, all was good. I right clicked from the desktop and asked the unit to scan disk fix and errors etc.

The machine said it will perform the check on the next boot, ok fine hit reboot and got bios video, then nothing, I got no video, the green light is on the monitor, I have some HD activity, but no idication anything is going on. Were an hour into this. The lights on the RDC are all green indicating no reads. Is this normal and I just need to simply wait? and wait and wait?

Another question, I had folder dup. on all my drives. Wonder what would happen if I just did a reinstall? got it all set up then hooked the Areca back up? I would like to drop some drives for cooling purposes and dont really need all that hardware. Thanx

Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:30 PM

Answers

• Normally you should get something on the screen. If you really got nothing you can try and boot from CD/DVD into some Windows OS recovery console, the run chkdsk /r.

Alternatively you can remove the main boot drive, mount it in another system and then run chkdsk /r from a command prompt for both partitions on the disk (check drive letter in explorer window since this will not be C and D when mounted in another system. If chkdsk finds and fixes errors you may put the disk back into your server and try and boot again. Personally I would also run diagnostic tool from disk manufacturer on the disk.

Server reinstall should normaly preserve all datat in duplicated shares, client backups will most likely be lost. When you do a server reinstall you should have all disk attached, and make sure installation is done to you current boot disk. You can also do a clean install, then move your data back to the server from the other disks (you can not simply hook them up).

Also please read How to recover data after server failure

• Marked as answer by bs953 Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:43 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:31 PM
  • thanx solved problem. Rebuilt new unit from scratch. All my shares and dup files are on the rdc. Gonna hook that up today. As to the WD 1TB aint got a frigging clue.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 4:53 PM

All replies

• Normally you should get something on the screen. If you really got nothing you can try and boot from CD/DVD into some Windows OS recovery console, the run chkdsk /r.

Alternatively you can remove the main boot drive, mount it in another system and then run chkdsk /r from a command prompt for both partitions on the disk (check drive letter in explorer window since this will not be C and D when mounted in another system. If chkdsk finds and fixes errors you may put the disk back into your server and try and boot again. Personally I would also run diagnostic tool from disk manufacturer on the disk.

Server reinstall should normaly preserve all datat in duplicated shares, client backups will most likely be lost. When you do a server reinstall you should have all disk attached, and make sure installation is done to you current boot disk. You can also do a clean install, then move your data back to the server from the other disks (you can not simply hook them up).

Also please read How to recover data after server failure

• Marked as answer by bs953 Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:43 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:31 PM
  • thanx solved problem. Rebuilt new unit from scratch. All my shares and dup files are on the rdc. Gonna hook that up today. As to the WD 1TB aint got a frigging clue.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 4:53 PM