how do i start programs automatically when whs reboots? RRS feed

• Question

• i'd like to be able to run some programs on whs: utorrent, dc++, etc. is there a way to have these programs run automatically each time whs reboots?

i'd like to just be able use windows remote desktop to login and see those programs running.

right now i have to start those programs manually with remote desktop and then close the connection so the programs still stay running. i'm thinking there's a better automated way of doing this....

thanks for your time. -ted

Thursday, January 3, 2008 7:20 PM

Answers

•  teddy3501 wrote:

i'd like to be able to run some programs on whs: utorrent, dc++, etc. is there a way to have these programs run automatically each time whs reboots?

i'd like to just be able use windows remote desktop to login and see those programs running.

right now i have to start those programs manually with remote desktop and then close the connection so the programs still stay running. i'm thinking there's a better automated way of doing this....

There are a couple ways:  1) you could add the programs to the start-up group under Programs, then use a tool like Tweak UI (part of Power Toys) and set it up to auto login every time (not the most secure method though since the Administrator is always logged in).  2)  You can set it up as a service to run automatically.  You can download and install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit (which includes a tool to create your own services).

Thursday, January 3, 2008 8:14 PM
  • When you run the programs as a service you have to set logon for the service to local system account and check "Allow Service to Interact With Desktop"

If you add the programs that by normally have a system tray icon to the Startup group they should normally appear in the system tray if you logon using RDP. If they don't have a system tray icon or if you want to connect actual WHS console desktop you have to run tsmmc.msc  from the WHS RDP desktop (or directly from the client if it's installed there). Then in tsmmc console window setup connection to your WHS and have "Connect to console" checked (default)

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:24 AM

All replies

•  teddy3501 wrote:

i'd like to be able to run some programs on whs: utorrent, dc++, etc. is there a way to have these programs run automatically each time whs reboots?

There are a couple ways:  1) you could add the programs to the start-up group under Programs, then use a tool like Tweak UI (part of Power Toys) and set it up to auto login every time (not the most secure method though since the Administrator is always logged in).  2)  You can set it up as a service to run automatically.  You can download and install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit (which includes a tool to create your own services).

Thursday, January 3, 2008 8:14 PM
  • i've tried running the programs as a service, but the problem is i can't seem to see the program when i log into whs using remote desktop. normall i can access the program by clicking on the icons in the taskbar but the programs do not appear in the taskbar when runned as a service.

i may have to try your first suggestion. i only hope that i can see the same desktop when i log into whs using remote desktop.

thanks for your reply.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 11:09 PM
  • When you run the programs as a service you have to set logon for the service to local system account and check "Allow Service to Interact With Desktop"

If you add the programs that by normally have a system tray icon to the Startup group they should normally appear in the system tray if you logon using RDP. If they don't have a system tray icon or if you want to connect actual WHS console desktop you have to run tsmmc.msc  from the WHS RDP desktop (or directly from the client if it's installed there). Then in tsmmc console window setup connection to your WHS and have "Connect to console" checked (default)

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:24 AM

•  Just as the thread starter I would like to run a program at startup and
    then be able to access it later via RDP.  The program will not run as a service so I have used tweak UI and autologon for Administrator as suggested , which works. . 

However when later I connect via RDP it opens a second user session for the same Administrator account, and hence launches a second instance of the program.  There are two Adminstrator sessions listed in task manager.   How can I avoid this and connect to the original local session ?

K
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:26 AM
  • In order to connect to the "Console" session, you need to pass in an optional argument to the terminal services client.

Using Vista as the client, I created a shortcut with the following command line

mstsc.exe /admin C:\yoursession.rdp

where yoursession.rdp is simply a saved terminal Services Client settings file.

With older clients you used to pass in a "/console" argument.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:48 AM