Error after November Update RRS feed

• Question

• I have the HP EX470. I am running Vista 64 bit. After the November update I tried to update the connector software and get a message that an error occured. I removed the connector software and tried to reinstall and it says that it can't find my server. I tried to ping my server by name, and it tries to ping an external ip address that is not on my network. It used to not do this. The IP address is not active. It is 216.24.138.136. The ip address of my server is actually 192.168.1.100 on my internal network. I can connect to it using that IP address directly. I tried to flush the dns to see if that would help but it hasn't. I downloaded to toolkit and ran it and its pretty much saying that since I can't connect to my server by name, that is why the install of the connector software is failing. I tried adding the name of the server and ip address to the host file but the connector software still fails. So basically I'm not sure why when I try to ping my server its going to other ip address, if I can fix that, it should fix this problem. Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:35 PM

All replies

• After seeing the red tray icon and getting the same message, I copied the connector install folder from C:/WHS over to my clients desktop, exited the tray app, uninstalled the connector, and reinstalled by running setup.exe from that folder. Found the server no problem and all is back to normal. That update definitely breaks the connector. You also may be able to run discovery.exe from your client...didn't try that.

P
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:00 AM
  • Polupro, the update doesn't "break the Connector":
    The update includes a Connector update.
    Whenever a WHS update includes a Connector update, the WHS tray icon on the clients will turn red, to alert you to the problem.
    In the future, uninstalling the Connector isn't necessary - just point your browser to http://<servername>:55000, and click the 'download now' link for the Connector (note that this assumes that you did *not* move or delete the \Home Server Connector Software folder from its default location.  Don't do that. ;) )
    FYI:  there are at least two other threads running right now that have this same information.  :)

Paradox:  pull the WAN (internet) cable from your router, and try running the Connector update again.
    -Chris
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:37 AM
  • Is this procedure always necessary any time there is an update to the WHS server (not a normal SBS 2003 update, but an update that changes the connector software)?

In other words, do you have to go to every client and update the connector on every machine?

So if you have 10 machines connected to the WHS and if there are 4 updates per year, are you going to be doing this procedure 40 times per year?

Could this possibly be correct?
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:53 AM
  • I don't know if I had a router problem, or an ISP problem that I only just noticed becase of needing to do the connector update, but trying http://<servername>:55000 with the correct server name does not work for me. It can't find the page. If I put in the internal ip address instead I can download the updated connector but the setup fails when its trying to find the server. Going to start and run and typing \\servername does work, so does the ip. I just can't ping it by name, and I used to be able to. Adding that to the host file will fix the the ping problem but the connector will still fail on finding the server.  I did pull the WAN cable from my router an that didn't help either. The only thing that did work was what polypro1 suggested was to download the c:\whs to my local pc and run the setup from there that worked. But now I have to do this from everyone one of my pc's. I'm wondering if there is some better solution.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Alex Barimo said:

Is this procedure always necessary any time there is an update to the WHS server (not a normal SBS 2003 update, but an update that changes the connector software)?

No.  Only when there is an update to the Connector software.

Alex Barimo said:

In other words, do you have to go to every client and update the connector on every machine?

So if you have 10 machines connected to the WHS and if there are 4 updates per year, are you going to be doing this procedure 40 times per year?

Could this possibly be correct?

No.  When you install the Connector software, you are given the option to automatically install future Connector updates (so you don't have to do it manually).

Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:02 AM
  • PARADOX412 said:

I don't know if I had a router problem, or an ISP problem that I only just noticed becase of needing to do the connector update, but trying http://<servername>:55000 with the correct server name does not work for me. It can't find the page. If I put in the internal ip address instead I can download the updated connector but the setup fails when its trying to find the server. Going to start and run and typing \\servername does work, so does the ip. I just can't ping it by name, and I used to be able to. Adding that to the host file will fix the the ping problem but the connector will still fail on finding the server.  I did pull the WAN cable from my router an that didn't help either. The only thing that did work was what polypro1 suggested was to download the c:\whs to my local pc and run the setup from there that worked. But now I have to do this from everyone one of my pc's. I'm wondering if there is some better solution.

It sounds like your are having problems with name resolution.  I would suggest you start a new thread to get assistance on that issue (and provide as much info as you can).
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:03 AM