none
Some forums styles are still styling code blocks with proportional fonts

Answers

• @Wyck - We'll add the formatting of code blocks a monospaced to our backlog.  It seems like a wholely reasonable request.

@davewilk - What you refer to as branding is not only changing of styles.  A dev center (MSDN) or tech center (TechNet) for a product is a holistic experience that spans forums, sample gallery, documentation library, search, etc. that share a common information architecture (most obviously shared menu structure), scope of content, etc.  I understand that for MVPs who frequently traverse the boundaries between different dev/tech centers the differences in appearance may seem like a distraction.  But for more novice users, and people who develop primarily for a single platform (e.g., Windows Phone, Windows, Windows Azure, Office) it's important for the forums associated with that center to look and act like the rest of that center.  We see this over and over in usability studies, where people feel it's "jarring" when one part of a center experience "feels" different than all the rest.

Users coming from bing or google should consistently see a given thread displayed in the same branding (i.e. the canonical brand and center for that thread).  So while it's possible to navigate within the forums, or manipulate the URL in the address bar, to see a thread a center that is not its canonical, that shouldn't happen coming from 3rd party search.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:04 AM

All replies

• IMHO, the benefits of branding (if any) come nowhere close to compensating for the large number of bugs it introduces.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Friday, July 19, 2013 3:22 PM
  • I didn't realize any forums had fixed width (monospaced) fonts in code blocks. That's why I seldom use them. I use Insert HTML for all my code examples. But that isn't practical for most people. If I understand correctly, the HTML is the same, it is just rendered differently depending on the branding?

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:43 AM
  • @Wyck - We'll add the formatting of code blocks a monospaced to our backlog.  It seems like a wholely reasonable request.

@davewilk - What you refer to as branding is not only changing of styles.  A dev center (MSDN) or tech center (TechNet) for a product is a holistic experience that spans forums, sample gallery, documentation library, search, etc. that share a common information architecture (most obviously shared menu structure), scope of content, etc.  I understand that for MVPs who frequently traverse the boundaries between different dev/tech centers the differences in appearance may seem like a distraction.  But for more novice users, and people who develop primarily for a single platform (e.g., Windows Phone, Windows, Windows Azure, Office) it's important for the forums associated with that center to look and act like the rest of that center.  We see this over and over in usability studies, where people feel it's "jarring" when one part of a center experience "feels" different than all the rest.

Users coming from bing or google should consistently see a given thread displayed in the same branding (i.e. the canonical brand and center for that thread).  So while it's possible to navigate within the forums, or manipulate the URL in the address bar, to see a thread a center that is not its canonical, that shouldn't happen coming from 3rd party search.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:04 AM