locked
vs2010 sync framework goofed after uninstalling vs2012 RRS feed

  • Question

  • hi all,

    i had a good project.   sync framework was working fine and dandy.  then, i decided to get rid of that ugly-ass visual studio 2012.  i refuse to use that ugly thing.  but, it corrupted my sql compact/sync framework on my machine.  i could no longer edit datasets in my project without getting a bunch of errors and the app shutting down.

    i caved finally, and put vs2012 back on my machine.  i can now edit datasets again, but the sync framework i had working no longer works. 

    when i click on my SDF file in my project, it says "the operation could not be completed.  unspecified error"

    if i open the LocalDataCache.sync file in the project, i do get the Configure Data Synchronization dialog, but when i try to make a new client connection, it says "the specified provider 'Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client.3.5' doesnt exist".   If i leave the default sdf that is already in the project, add some tables to the Cached Tables list and hit OK I get: "The given key was not present in the dictionary".

    what the hell is going on here?   could this be a 64/32 bit thing?  missing files? missing tools?

    thanks vs2012 for an ugly interface and screwing up my environment.


    ~george

    Monday, October 1, 2012 3:33 PM

All replies

  • well, i have been working with this machine for 2 years now...maybe it's time for a refresh.

    i spent 3 days trying to get this going again, and i give up.  time for a fresh clean installation.  i'll probably be happier anyway.

    and vs2012 can kiss my a$$


    ~george

    Monday, October 1, 2012 5:12 PM
  • have you checked if your SDF was updated to SQL CE v4? if you got it upgraded to 4.0, you can still use the 4.0 database via redirects. see : Sync Framework and SQL Compact 4 (Yes, You Can!)
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 1:33 AM
  • thanks for the suggestion june....i did check and it was still sql compact 3.5...that's when i knew it was time for a clean machine.   there were also multiple entries in my gac for sqlserverce with the same versions (could not gacutil -u them either), so something (vs2012) totally messed up installation of my 2010 devenv.   after my clean install, ghost image, fresh install of vs and all service packs, sharepoint server dev environment, everything is running perfectly!

    thank you!


    ~george

    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:18 PM