Steady State and VNC RRS feed

• Question

• We have used Steady State and VNC together without a problem for a while. Now we are using the session timer in Steady State.  When it times out and a new user logs in we cannot use VNC.  If the user logs off and back on VNC works fine. 
    The problem is only when Steady State time logs the comptuers off.  When this happens VNC service is not running.  The service is set to automatic and to restart (over and over).  I can manually start the service and it is okay.
    Some how when steady state timer logs off a user it the VNC service does not automatically restart. 

XP Pro
    not on a domain
    Running Deep Freeze also
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:57 PM

Answers

• I'm not using any remote solution for my public pc's yet; if I did I would probably use Teamviewer. I wonder how it would behave if you tried that. Their Host version runs as a service also and you can configure the tray icon to not allow a user to shut it down, uninstall it etc.. It's free as well. I chose it for our staff pc's because it supports log on after a reboot. In your situation, if a user logs off - you will lose the connection but you can reconnect (it just takes a minute to see the target pc and you just reenter your password). A reboot will lose the connection but since it is a service you will be able to establish a connection before a logon (you'll see the windows logon screen after you enter the teamviewer password you assigned it)

Maybe it will help?

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, July 27, 2009 2:41 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:32 PM

All replies

• I'm not using any remote solution for my public pc's yet; if I did I would probably use Teamviewer. I wonder how it would behave if you tried that. Their Host version runs as a service also and you can configure the tray icon to not allow a user to shut it down, uninstall it etc.. It's free as well. I chose it for our staff pc's because it supports log on after a reboot. In your situation, if a user logs off - you will lose the connection but you can reconnect (it just takes a minute to see the target pc and you just reenter your password). A reboot will lose the connection but since it is a service you will be able to establish a connection before a logon (you'll see the windows logon screen after you enter the teamviewer password you assigned it)

Maybe it will help?

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, July 27, 2009 2:41 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Thanks
    County IT suggests VNC.  I am not sure.   If the user logs off and back on it is not a problem.  The problem is with the timer in Steady State; if the timer logs the workstation off there is a problem.

I may try teamviewer; but I have to get it approved though IT first.

VNC does not allow user to log off or close.  It is a mystery to me and i feel it has to be a glitch in Steady State. 

thanks
    Jackie
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:18 PM
  • I have updated to the new version of VNC and the problem appears to be gone.  I guess that was easy enough.  I only have one branch library using the timers in Steady State.  They really like it. 
    This gives them control over who is using what computer because they walk them to the computer and sign them in.  The timer is always visible on the bottom letting the user know when their time is up.  When time is up the computer reboots and the user has not choice.  This prevents the "one more minute" repeating over and over when staff asked them to get off the computer.  Less stress on staff because the computer is kicking them off not the staff. 
    Staff is the nice person who signs them on.
    THis only works in this branch because they only have 6 public access computers 12 feet from the circ desk.  In our other branches their are too many computers and they are too far away from the circ desk to make this a viable solution. 
    We need a PC management solution but the money is not here this year.

thanks
    Jackie
    Monday, July 27, 2009 1:34 PM