none
Is there any way to prevent the Command Prompt window appearing when the SyncToyCmd.exe task is started? RRS feed

• Question

• This is something I was hoping Windows 7 would address but so far I've not found any way to suppress this from happening. It would be nice if the scheduled task (SyncToyCmd.exe) could be started in the background and not open the Command Prompt window.
    Rich
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• As when you run synctoycmd.exe in task scheduler, the prompt window is taskeng.exe but not SyncToyCmd.exe.
    It is out of SyncToy 2.1 's control, and I am sorry, I have no idea about how to run taskeng.exe in background, you could find some help by searching from task scheduler helps.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen BaiModerator Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:57 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:19 AM
  • Thanks Ping. I could not find a way in XP or Vista so was hoping 7 had addressed this. Apparently not.

Not a big issue, just annoying to have that window open while I'm in the middle of doing something.
    Rich
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Perhaps knowing what SyncToyCMd.exe does to cause SyncToy to run all folder pairs would allow me( us?) to call SyncToy.exe directly with the appropriate parameter(s) to accomplish this? Then there would be no window opening.

Does SyncToy.exe accept parameters and if so, what are they?

Rich
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:24 PM
  • If you want to run sync folder pairs through command, SyncToyCmd.exe is the only way.
    SyncToy.exe just support to create/delete folder pairs.

Go to the synctoy installation folder, run following command you will get all of the parameters SyncToy.exe accept.

C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1>SyncToy.exe /?

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:51 AM
  • Thanks again Ping. I checked and see what you mean about SyncToy.exe.

Now, I wonder if there is any way to control where the SyncToyCMd.exe window opens? I was thinking that if that was possible, I could set it to open off screen then I'd never see it.
    Rich
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Friday, December 25, 2009 6:35 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!! Works perfectly. SyncToy now runs as scheduled without the Command Prompt window opening and stealing focus from what ever I am doing.

Once I had this working, I did more searching and came up with a couple more that would have worked.

CMDOW which is more generic in running things silently, and this thread in these forums: Command line option for -Silent which has several solutions.

Rich
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:26 PM