Live Mesh permanently deleted My Pictures folder RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Live Mesh last night to try it out and associated My Pictures folder on my PC with it. After a couple of hours, I decided to disassociate the folder with Live Mesh so I clicked Delete folder from Live Mesh option in the right-click context menu. It asked me whether I really want to delete the folder, I said yes, then it told me that if I delete this folder it won't be available to other computers, so I clicked ok, and then Live Mesh PERMANENTLY deleted the whole folder. It didn't even bother with putting it in the Recycle Bin. Just wiped it clean out.

I've now uninstalled Live Mesh so I can't provide with logs but would appreciate if you could explain how this HUGE oversight in programme design come to being.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:53 AM

Answers

• I believe that you actually selected to delete the physical folder and were prompted "are you sure?"
    The dialog you accepted does state the following:

"Delete Live Mesh folder: 'folder name'
    After moving this folder to the Recycle Bin on this computer, it will still be in your Live Mesh and available to other devices and members.
    To delete this folder from your Live Mesh, go to your Live Desktop."

It also has a link to help text that explains "what happens to my files if I delete a folder."

I think that the Delete folder option doesn't belong in the Live Mesh context menu since it really is a local delete. If you intend to remove a folder from your Mesh, you need to change Sync settings.

So, I'm sorry that you misunderstood the action. The folder should be in your Recycle Bin unless it was too large for the Recycle Bin.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:00 PM