Possbly firewall problem? RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since i download OneCare, I am unable to connect to
    download.Microsoft.com. I can't download anything from Microsoft. No update,
    no media player. I can't even download a driver for my XBOX 360 controller.
    I've deleted temporary files, ran Malwarebytes'
    Anti-Malware/SUPERAntiSpyware, and deleted all infections. restarted my BITS,
    uninstalled/reinstalled OneCare. I am still getting problems... I'm not entirely sure what the cause is, but I think it might have something to do with OneCare's Firewall, maybe not allowing a port or something? Help please?
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• If uninstalling OneCare didn't help, it obviously has nothing to do with the OneCare firewall, that is assuming you took the time to test for the issue while it was uninstalled. If you didn't an easier way to test is to Open the OneCare GUI, click 'OneCare Settings' on the left side of the page, turn off the Firewall temporarily and try a simple download.

From past issues like these, it's much more likely this is caused by either your other antimalware programs or some leftover portions of your old antivirus program that were left after it was uninstalled. Even if the uninstall appeared to go okay, it's quite common for portions to be left behind, so you'll need to get the 'clean-up tool' from the support site for your old antivirus program and run it to be certain.

I'm not specifically aware of any known issues with the two programs you mentioned, but if either has a real-time resident program running it should be removed since it's likely to cause a conflict. If it can be completely turned off you can try that, but most today operate as services, so they can't be truly disabled without removing them completely.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:26 AM
  • I've tried turning off the firewall, still nothing. I downloaded those programs becuase someone else recomanded me too. I didn't have any other spyware blocker before I got OneCare.

About a month ago, i encountered the same problem with Norton, but I deleted my partition, and reinstalled windows. That work, but i had to burn all my important files to a DVD..
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:12 PM
  • I agree that this is not likely to be caused by OneCare, but may well be caused by a conflict with the other software you have installed. However, a good starting place to troubleshoot this will be with OneCare support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Please do report back what the cause was and the solution.

-steve

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Well the thing is, is I had OneCare before I had any other Virus-protector. I Downloaded the other programs because other forums suggested a trojan was blocking my connection, and said to download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-spyware to delete them.

I have just reported the problem to the link you recommended. I now believe it's not OneCare's problem, but most anti-virus software available. I've been reading forums around the web, and many people are coming across the same problem as me, but with different Virus protection software. Any time i mention my problem, they recommend me here, but I guess it's not Onecare's fault... I don't know, btu before i downloaded OneCare, i was able to download from Microsft.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what Windows response is. Thanks Smile
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:50 PM