How to replace a failing primary HDD of Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• The SMART Addon is telling me that my boot disk is failing. From all the varies threads that I read thru, I tried to put in the DVD and boot from it, there is no "Reinstall" or "Upgrade" options, only "New Install".

My PC has 2 PATA and 2 SATA and connected with:
    PATA 1 Master : 200G Boot Disk
    PATA 2 Master : DVD
    SATA 1 : 500G
    SATA 2 : 1.5T

PATA Slave ports are still free.

Questions :
    - What should I do now ? 
    - Why I can't see the Reinstall option ?
    - Is it because there is no blank HDD ?

Thanks.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:42 PM

All replies

• The SMART Addon is telling me that my boot disk is failing. From all the varies threads that I read thru, I tried to put in the DVD and boot from it, there is no "Reinstall" or "Upgrade" options, only "New Install".

My PC has 2 PATA and 2 SATA and connected with:
    PATA 1 Master : 200G Boot Disk
    PATA 2 Master : DVD
    SATA 1 : 500G
    SATA 2 : 1.5T

PATA Slave ports are still free.

Questions :
    - What should I do now ? 
    - Why I can't see the Reinstall option ?
    - Is it because there is no blank HDD ?

Thanks.
    When you boot from the DVD, do you see all 3 hard drives in the Load Additional Storage Drivers window?  If not, you'll have to provide drivers for any drives that aren't listed.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:19 PM
  • I can see all my drives. But the setup program just has "New Installation" and it warns me that all data will be erased.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Did you verify the boot sequence in the Bios? Does it see the system drive as primary (boot) disk?
    Also, if SMART is telling you that the disk is failing, did you swap the disk against a new one? (Because this says usually that the hardware is about to fail, and your information was not clear enough, if you replaced the broken drive.)
    You could detach all disks with data on it and after installing WHS to the new drive and applying all the updates follow the procedure described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:15 PM