Use Home Server to back up server operating systems? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

At a I.T. event on Saturday, someone suggested using Home Server to back up servers in a small business environment.

I installed the connector on a Server 2003 R2 Standard machine. I did have this error after installation:

Discovery.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, faulting module Discovery.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, fault address 0x0003c9e5.

But after several days, the backups appear to be working fine.

So what is the official and unofficial word on backing up servers? It works but it's not supported? Would I be "asking for it" if I relied on WHS to back up a server, especially one running Active Directory and maybe Exchange (Small Business Server)?

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems

Friday, January 29, 2010 5:50 PM

Answers

• It works but it's not supported.

In a SBS environment, you need the SBS maintenance anyway, because it does things that Windows Home Server can't do. So you can use Windows Home Server as your "first line of defense", but have other options as well.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, January 29, 2010 6:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by mcbsys Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:05 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 6:56 PM

All replies

• It works but it's not supported.

In a SBS environment, you need the SBS maintenance anyway, because it does things that Windows Home Server can't do. So you can use Windows Home Server as your "first line of defense", but have other options as well.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, January 29, 2010 6:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by mcbsys Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:05 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 6:56 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

I'll continue to do my daily NTBackups including system state, but it'd be nice to be able to restore from WHS to get at least the base OS back out there quickly. The folks at this event were actually suggesting WHS as a virtualization intermediary when going P2V or, I think, V2P.

Coincidentally I came across MSKB 888794 today that states "In particular, Active Directory does not support any method that restores a snapshot of the operating system or the volume the operating system resides on." Apparently the only supported way to restore AD is from a System State backup.

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:05 AM