none
Drive Partitioning and Restart error RRS feed

• Question

• I plugged in an esata hard drive to use a backup for my WHS data.

When I click "Add" and then "Use this hard ddrive to back up files that are stored on your home server"

I get the message:

"Drive partitioning and restart required. The drive does not  seem to have a partition created. Please create a partition and then restart home server before trying to add the drive."

I assume this means I have to create the partition via remote desktop. I don't want to damage anything. When I go to remote desktop, computer management, disk management and select "new partition"  I'm asked whether I want to create a "Primary Partition" or an "Extended Partition". "Logical Drive" is grayed out. I'm not sure what to pick. This is a REMOVABLE e-sata drive. There are already four drives in my WHS.

The drives that are shown in disk manager are (all show as "online"):

Disk 0: SYS C: 20.00 GB NTFS  healthy: DATA D: 445.75 GB NTFS healthy
    Disk 1: DATA 465.75 GB NTFS healthy
    Disk 2: DATA 465.75 GB NTFS healthy
    Disk 3: DATA 698.63 GB NTFS healthy
    Disk 4: Basic, 931.51 GB, Unallocated

Any advice appreciated!
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 1:24 AM

Answers

• Create a primary partition.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Thanks. I accidentally discovered an easier way using the console =).

Add the drive to the drive pool which seems to create a partition automatically, then immediately remove it, then add it again as a server backup drive.
    • Marked as answer by Boaster01 Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:57 PM
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:57 PM

All replies

• Create a primary partition.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Thanks. I accidentally discovered an easier way using the console =).

Add the drive to the drive pool which seems to create a partition automatically, then immediately remove it, then add it again as a server backup drive.
    • Marked as answer by Boaster01 Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:57 PM
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:57 PM
  • That will work, though it's not very intuitive. I've submitted a product suggestion on Connect to add a way to partition the drive, rather than just returning this error with no obvious way to proceed.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 4:37 PM
  • I tried adding as a server storage drive first, as suggested above, and that worked fine.  It said it was formatting...  I then removed it and that worked fine.  But when I next tried to add it again as a backup drive, I got the same message: "Drive partitioning and restart required" with no apparent way to do this.
    • Proposed as answer by DaveJ_ca Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:23 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:51 AM
  • Ken, what does the timestamp say the date is on your post?

Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:41 PM
  • You should see the same time stamp I do, possibly adjusted for your own time zone:  Monday, January 05, 2009 4:37 PM . Why?

Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:12 PM
  • When you first ADD the external drive as additional storage, let it complete its formatting and appear in the Server Storage list.
    Then highlight it and remove it from the list using REMOVE. 
    This does not happen instantly as it needs to be sure all files are removed to other drives before it will release it cleanly.
    When you ask to ADD it again it should first ask you if you want to reformat the drive; decline.
    Then it should ask you to NAME the drive and add it to your Server Storage list as an external drive.

If you now go to COMPUTERS & BACKUP you should find your Server listed.
    Highlight it and click BACKUP NOW.
    It should now ask you "Where to ?" and give you a pull down list of all available options (all might only be one !!)
    One of your available options for backing up the server should be the NAME of the drive you just added.
    Note that even with eSATA rather than USB, this WILL take a while.......

Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Hi there all - Just to add one last piece to this: Indeed it works if you attempt to just add the drive to the storage pool & then remove it as DaveJ_ca advises. But I needed to take one last step - I remoted in and went into disk mangement. The just-removed drive is there and is labeled REMOVED. It also says it is partitioned (well thats interesting...) -- you need to click on it and select "activate partition". And then you can go into the console, add the drive back in again as a backup drive and follow Dave's remaining steps:

"When you ask to ADD it again [as a backup drive] it should first ask you if you want to reformat the drive; decline.
    Then it should ask you to NAME the drive and add it to your Server Storage list as an external drive.

If you now go to COMPUTERS & BACKUP you should find your Server listed.
    Highlight it and click BACKUP NOW.
    It should now ask you "Where to ?" and give you a pull down list of all available options (all might only be one !!)
    One of your available options for backing up the server should be the NAME of the drive you just added.
    Note that even with eSATA rather than USB, this WILL take a while......."

...Having done all of this I am now happy as a clam with 3.5TB of base storage + duplication and another 2TB of server shared files backup. Mission accomplished!
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:44 PM