Remote Access Now Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I have read all through the forums and have not found anything that has helped.  I have had my HP Media server for about 10 months now and everything was working great.  I then un installed an add in called Outlook.  After that, I was not able to connect to the server from any pc.  After reading through some posts on wegotserved.co.uk, I saw that there was a know issue with un installing that add in.  I did a server re install and kept all my data.  When going through the setup process I went to configure remote access and I get an error on the last step "Verifying that remote access is available on your home server".  I had tried another suggestion in this forum which was to unconfigure the router and domain name.  The setup the domain name first then configure the router.  My domain name now has a green check and says it is working, but I still get that same error when configuring the router.  I have also tried to forward ports 80,443,4125 with no success.  I am using the D-Link DIR-655.  I do not know what else to try.  Any ideas. 

Thanks
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:35 PM

Answers

• It says there is a problem with a web server or firewall.  No idea what it could have been because this has been working for 10 months with no chagnes.  I just did a complete fresh re install last night and everything is now working.  Now I just have to move my data back.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    manual port forwarding in the router must point to the same ports at the internal IP address of your server.
    Configuring the router gives you an error, if the router is not configurable via UPnP, which you solved with manual port forwarding.
    Did you try, if your remote access website can be accessed from outside of your home? Not each router allows a loopback, means accessing the internal network from the same network via the Internet.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Olaf,  Thanks for the reply.  I am not able to access the remote site form outside my home.  I also noticed after doing the re install, that PP2 did not get applied so I just finished with that update. Still no luck.  Now when I run the process to repair the remote access setup, the error says "A local web server or firewall issue may have occured".

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Olaf,  Thanks for the reply.  I am not able to access the remote site form outside my home.  I also noticed after doing the re install, that PP2 did not get applied so I just finished with that update. Still no luck.  Now when I run the process to repair the remote access setup, the error says "A local web server or firewall issue may have occured".

What messages do you get in the Remote Access settings page when you click the Details button?  If you go to Shields Up! and do a port scan for ports 80, 443, and 4125, what are the results?
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:34 AM
  • It says there is a problem with a web server or firewall.  No idea what it could have been because this has been working for 10 months with no chagnes.  I just did a complete fresh re install last night and everything is now working.  Now I just have to move my data back.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:31 PM
  • I have a semi similar situation.  My HP WHS has been working fine for a while.  I recently got into a no boot up state after using some beta addin.  I used the DVDs to reinstall the server keeping the data partiion intact.  Almost everything seems to be working with the big exception being the Remote Access website.  When I used the PP2 repair functionality, I get a red X next to: "Verying that your remote Web site is available locally".  Since I'm not able to browse to the site, this makes sense.  Any ideas on how to fix it? or further diagnose it?
    Thanks.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:47 AM
  • I have a semi similar situation.  My HP WHS has been working fine for a while.  I recently got into a no boot up state after using some beta addin.  I used the DVDs to reinstall the server keeping the data partiion intact.  Almost everything seems to be working with the big exception being the Remote Access website.  When I used the PP2 repair functionality, I get a red X next to: "Verying that your remote Web site is available locally".  Since I'm not able to browse to the site, this makes sense.  Any ideas on how to fix it? or further diagnose it?
    Thanks.

You should start your own thread instead of adding to one that has already been marked as answered (and provide as many details as possible).
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:51 AM