Memory leak in WM6 RRS feed

• Question

• I have E-TEN Glofiish X500+ mobile phone, ver 544. After a while or after start / closings of programs the quantity of free memory gradually decreases. Directly after SR 19-20 MB up to 9-11MB. To restore up to a former level it is possible through softreset. Whether It is possible will receive same effect without softreset or foreign software?

Friday, November 30, 2007 8:16 AM

Answers

• Hey!

I have a XDA Orbit, which is the same as HTC Artemis, with WM6. I used to have the same problems as described above. I found another website, on which users complained about programs by SPB to have a memory consuming effect.
    I think it was this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-305315.html

I deleted SPB backup from the PPC, did a complete hard reset and afterwards the memory problems were gone!!! I have not had to do a softreset for a whole week now!

By the way, I have a bunch of third party apps installed. The Orbit works as well as a new one again.

If this helps anyone, I glad about it! ;)

So long, Jo

PS: I selected the above post as a "proposed answer" by incident...

• Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:05 PM
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:15 PM

All replies

• My guess is that you have a program installed that is not freeing up memory when it is not being used.

It's a pain, but you can try to figure out which one it is

Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:31 AM
  • Then it or OEM a software or so works OS since memory after SR falls about 20 Mb till 10-12 eventually. Even if to start nothing. Whether probably violently to release memory?

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:20 AM
  • So are you saying that if you do a soft reset and leave the device alone for several hours, when you turn it on the available memory has dropped?

How many 3rd party apps are installed?

Do any run on startup?

Are you running Today screen managers?

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Memory has dropped if i use device (for call for example) or any software running in background. Yes i have 3rd party software installed, today plug-in mostly (Pocket breeze, SPB pocket plus). Basically 3rd apps installed in SDMMC and run sometimes. Memmaid software say that gradually memory borrowed gwes.exe grows (from 3.4 meg то 7-9) and never decreases. After closing apps memory increased but not always up to an initial level.

On one of forums there was an idea of adjustment of caches size.. I try to decrease size GLIPHCACHE in registry from 8 M то 4. It has a little helped. Now after work days (some inet, calls) i have free about 16M.

But it would be desirable to find more correct way, or to know what parameters of the register it is possible to correct.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:36 AM
  • Unfortunately it has not helped, only has slowed down process. In some days of use steady value of 13,5 M. the Same problem is observed at other users, even on "clear" PDA..

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:22 AM
  • My T-Mobile Dash has the same problem.  I can END TASK on the various tasks that have been opened, but even opening the TASK manager, causes memory to be lost.  If I don't soft reset (?) the phone daily, I run out of memory on the phone.  I do not have  additional programs added, but I do have a storage card that holds my pictures.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:12 AM
  • I have the same problem with my X500+ (ver. 488) with WM6 on board.
    I have read that memory manager in WM6 should automaticaly free up not used memory (something like garbage collector in Java). As we can see the cleaning routine is not efficient (some memory is still wasted after freeing up and we can not achieve former level).
    I've heared also about software that can force "memory cleaning" on demand, but I have never found it. Are we really forced to wait on service packs for WM6?

Best Regards
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:37 PM
  • I recently purchased a Sprint Mogul and upgraded to the latest ROM that HTC put out on their site on 3/10/08. I have installed many programs but only 3 launch at startup which are iLock2 [screen lock], TouchPal [a thumbable keyboard] and Microsoft's own Voice Command v 1.6. Voice Command is the largest user of memory, approx. 2.3 MB. TouchPal uses about 990 kb and iLock uses less than 35 kb. After about 1 hour I'm down to 11 MB of free memory and I didn't do anything or run a single thing on my device. If I try to launch PIE or Media Player, forget it, there's so little RAM left that it freezes in about 15 minutes of usage. So, if I want to use either of these, I have to do so immediately after a soft reset.

Based on my observations above and testing below, WM6 OS has a memory leak!

To make sure I give WM6 a fair chance, I had to measure the memory immediately after a Hard Rest. So that's exactly what I did 3 times and here are my findings:

Test #1                 FREE RAM IMMEDIATE      FREE RAM IN 1 HOUR

Hard Reset #1                   24.15 MB                           19.98 MB

Hard Reset #2                   24.15 MB                           20.02 MB

Hard Reset #3                   24.14 MB                           19.96 MB

Bottom line, I'm losing memory for no reason. I have not loaded any of my own programs AND I did not allow the Sprint bloatware to be installed either by doing a soft reset before the 3 second countdown. 

Now the memory loss from Test #1 might not seem huge, but after loading my programs and PIM data the difference was even more dramatic, see Test #2. [FYI, I took the "IMMEDIATE" measurements in Test #1 and #2 as soon as the computer would allow me to access the memory console. Not perfect science, but close.]

Test #2                  FREE RAM IMMEDIATE       FREE RAM IN 20 MINS

Soft Reset #1                     21.37 MB                            13.69 MB

Soft Reset #2                     21.45 MB                            13.35 MB

Soft Reset #3                     21.46 MB                            13.44 MB

Finally, to eliminate some rogue process eating all of my memory, I measured the process growth. I was able to do so after each soft reset by using Task Manager v.2.9, which I installed. A few of them grew in size, not sure why, but they did, so below is a sample of their growth. [I actually did this several times and the numbers below are representative of what I found in each of the trials.]

Test #3                    IMMEDIATE               20 MINS

device.exe                  2682 kb                    2696 kb

cprog.exe                   1749 kb                    2024 kb  

gwes.exe                    1559 kb                   1666 kb

filesys.exe                  1538 kb                    1751 kb 

While the processes grew, it wasn't significant enough to offset the loss in memory illustrated in Test #2. I also watched the processes associated with my 3 programs that launched at startup and the other OS processes, 15 in all. Some of those grew ever so slightly as well. But in aggregate, the growth for all 15 processes from the time immediately following the reset to 20 minutes later only accounted for 855 kb while I saw my memory drop on average 8 MB.

What could be happening?

I believe the OS is loading something into memory [RAM checker, scanner, cleaner, etc.] that I can't see in the processes or application window and after it's done, it is not releasing the memory, ergo a memory leak.

Thoughts?

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:48 AM
  • I just wanted to +1 this last post and say that I, too, have the same problems with my HTC Mogul. I really would love some assistance with this. I am running the latest ROM (3.35) and WM6 and I just can't seem to stop the memory from leaking away throughout the day.

Please help, somebody!

Steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:37 PM
  • I have that too, though I haven't linked it to noticable problems myself.

I'm not sure it's a "leak" as I have found no confirmation that it is.  As such, I'm thinking it might be just caching.  Like in Vista, where you practically have near ZERO "free RAM" because it caches a lot.  They call it "SuperFetch" because the OS can fetch frequently accessed files from RAM.  Theoretically, it should bump off un-needed stuff when it needs to make space so...  Maybe WM6 has borrowed some techniques???

But for me, I don't notice it does anything besides anoy the heck out of you when you look at a diminishing number.  Smile

I don't even look at that memory thing anymore.

But I guess theoretically, if a program looks at the free RAM number to determine whether it can run and gives you a "need to close apps" message, then it can be a problem.  Not sure if this is how software works, but maybe.

Monday, March 31, 2008 1:32 AM
  •  rasmasyean wrote:

But I guess theoretically, if a program looks at the free RAM number to determine whether it can run and gives you a "need to close apps" message, then it can be a problem.  Not sure if this is how software works, but maybe.

It seems that caching is not a cause of our problem. If it was the system could reclaim memory used by cach and give it to newly started application (on demand).

When I am starting application that normally consumes a lot of memory and there left not enough free memory for the application it crashes. The conclusion is that WM6 does not controll used memory - so it is memory leak.

Best Regards.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:31 AM
  • I know this thread is old, but still seems relevant - any fixes for this yet?  I have a HP iPaq 110 and the memory leaks are ridiculous, and they are caused by the standard WM applications.  The device has 64MB of memory, on boot from purchase, 30MB was available, after installing all my software, it's 25MB.  Whenever i use it for a small amount of time and then turn off all programs, only 17MB is available.  This also happened before installing any other software
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:49 AM
  • I have the iPaq 111 as well, I noticed the same issue.  Since the tasks have the notorious "active tasks filter" bug, I only use the thing for the calendar and email.  Within a day of soft-resetting, the available memory is down to 5mb.  Shutting down all the apps only brings it back up to like 12mb.  Right after resetting it, it has 30mb. 

I limited my PDA selection because I wanted one with WM6 - biggest mistake ever.  Not one of the many, many bugs has been fixed, despite having a "Windows Update" feature.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I must only join this long line of complains. I have HTC 4350 Herald with some 3rd party apps (incl. today screen managers). After soft reset, I have about 18 MB of memory (out of 64!). During normal usage (calls, PIM apps) its decreasing and when it goes down to about 10MB I usually do a reset because otherwise its starts to be unbearable.

I know that its hard to find the exact source of the problem but let me make some comments:

1) Why Microsoft does not provide some tool to reveal the problem? Why even the system tools (e.g. MemMaid) don't show all processes to let me see who's growing?!?
    2) From the long history of this thread I can see that many different people with different HW and SW configurations have the same problem. The common thing: WM6
    3) What is the comments from forum moderator? Some questions to precise the problem and "it is 3rd party SW problem, sorry".

My conclusion? WM6 is the ***. And I'm a big idiot to choose this platform. Never ever again.

If there is any gentleman from MS reading my comment I will be happy for any answer.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:49 PM
  • all right, I wasn't enough "politically correct", sorry for that. I just wanted to say that on my opinion is the problem is in WM6 itself.
    • Proposed as answer by honeybunaddict Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MaryAliceC Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:05 PM
    Monday, December 1, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Hey!

I have a XDA Orbit, which is the same as HTC Artemis, with WM6. I used to have the same problems as described above. I found another website, on which users complained about programs by SPB to have a memory consuming effect.
    I think it was this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-305315.html

I deleted SPB backup from the PPC, did a complete hard reset and afterwards the memory problems were gone!!! I have not had to do a softreset for a whole week now!

By the way, I have a bunch of third party apps installed. The Orbit works as well as a new one again.

If this helps anyone, I glad about it! ;)

So long, Jo

PS: I selected the above post as a "proposed answer" by incident...

• Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:05 PM
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:15 PM