Installed new backup harddrive in server. Now I cannot get remote access. RRS feed

• Question

• I was running WHS and had a very difficult time getting remote access. Finally contacted Linksys and they helped me with port 443 and 4125 setup. Remote worked fine then. Sometimes the router had to be reset because I would get kicked off, but for the most part it worked. Last night I put in a new harrdrive for an extra 750 GB (old computer only had 150GB). Now I cannot get remote access at all. I went and did a router configuration - nothing. My ISP (COX) said they do not block ports 80.443,4125. I'm really at a loss. I know it has something to do with the new harddrive, but I'm new at this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:11 PM

Answers

• Static IPs usually do cost a bit more, yeah. WHS does do dynamic DNS (it'll periodically tell homeserver.com what your IP address is), but if you ISP is changing your IP often, you'll run into issues like you've had.

Can't quite tell if it's working for you now. Are you still having issues?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Yes. But, I'm connecting remotely about 60% of the time. At least I can get on some of the time. Before it was NEVER. I appreciate your insight. Thanks again.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:24 PM

All replies

• I'm guessing that when you set up your router with Linksys support, you had to enter the current WHS IP address. Is that correct?

Is the server's IP address still the same? Sometimes during after a reboot, the DHCP server on the router might not give WHS the same IP.

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:17 PM
  • IP address remained the same.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:06 AM
  • Does WHS work inside your network currently (i.e. shares, websites)? Is it just accessing it from the internet that's not working?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Yes. It started working OK last night - for no reason. Then this morning it doesn't work again. Networking at home works fine. It's only this remote access situation that's driving me batty. The remote access is really the main reason I wanted this. Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:16 PM
  •  norton55 wrote:

Yes. It started working OK last night - for no reason. Then this morning it doesn't work again. Networking at home works fine. It's only this remote access situation that's driving me batty. The remote access is really the main reason I wanted this. Thanks in advance.

It's probably not WHS, but to check: when you're having issues connecting outside your network, have someone inside the network test access the WHS website.

1) Open IE

2) Browse to https://servername (not name.homeserver.com)

3) Log in

If that works, it'll be an issue with your network provider or router. Most home internet connections don't have a static IP, so that could be changing (WHS does do dynamic DNS, but I don't know what the refresh time is).

Ping name.homeserver.com from outside the network to get the IP address that WHS thinks it has. Next time the issue changes (it either starts working again or stops), ping the same address and see if the IP addresses it returns are different.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Thank you for your help. I called my ISP and requested static IP address (it cost me more!). Still had problems. However, when I enter https://myipconfignumber it takes me to my remote access point. My ip address has stayed the same so far when I check it.  I tried what you said under 1. 2. 3. and it worked, by the way. You know your stuff. Boy, this has beencomplicated. Microsoft really doesn't tell you about all the plethora of problems to get remote to work. I'm glad I haven't bought it yet. Thanks for all your help.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:32 AM
  • Static IPs usually do cost a bit more, yeah. WHS does do dynamic DNS (it'll periodically tell homeserver.com what your IP address is), but if you ISP is changing your IP often, you'll run into issues like you've had.

Can't quite tell if it's working for you now. Are you still having issues?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Yes. But, I'm connecting remotely about 60% of the time. At least I can get on some of the time. Before it was NEVER. I appreciate your insight. Thanks again.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:24 PM
  • So if you come back later it works, or if you refresh the page a bunch of times it works?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Actually - both. Sometimes if I wait (a long time) it just comes up.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:44 PM
  • Do the long load times correspond to 1) high load on the WHS, 2) high load on your internet connection (bittorrent, Second Life etc) or 3) peak time for your ISP (usually mid afternoon - late night)?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:57 PM