Is it recommeded to install VAIL on a separate HD with no data residing on that HD? RRS feed

• Question

• I am totally new to WHS and after reading some information on disk extension I am wondering if my current installation is not optimum to maximize data recovery.

I have 4 2TB hard disks. Three are the green type (slow) and one is an WD black for good performance. So Vail is installed on the 2TB WD black drive consuming only 60 GB for the OS partition. I then added the remaiming partition to the storage pool.

Let's say the boot drive fails. Would it be easier to restore the VAIL OS image if the OS resided on a separate drive like 2.5" 320 GB drive for example (which still have laying around).

Also, I find it puzzling how difficult it is to understand where VAIL storages the data for computer backup and how much data was really backed up. I know the pie chart is still missing ... VAIL just seems to list the full capaciity of the drive that was backed up not the actual data residing on the client pc/drive.

Also, I find it strange that I cannot access any of the cliet backup from the server itself. I have to go to one of the client PCs to look at the files...

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:46 PM

Answers

• Vail will include the ability to back up and restore a complete system image, so you can do a "bare metal" restore of your server. It's not "all there" yet, however. And no, it won't be any easier to restore if you separate the system partition onto it's own drive.

Client backups are listed with the full size of the drive (as you've seen) because by design you'll want to restore onto a drive that's at least as large as the original. And client backups aren't available from the server desktop because you aren't supposed to use the server desktop. Also, you need additional components installed on any computer that you can restore from, components which are only available if you install the connector, which you can't install on the server (it would, in theory at least, allow you to back your server up as it's own client, which would probably not be a good thing).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:08 AM