Compiled HTML is NOT helpful in many cases RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to read over the CTP Documentation to better understand how this works and I am running into cases like this over and over like below

IsTemplateScope - Indicates whether this scope is a template scope

I know that for the most part a lot of this is taken from developer comments, but I have to say these comments are pretty much useless.  It would be ok if the comments (like above) were left that way, but i could search for something like 'template scope' to learn what template scope actually meant in 'real world terms'.

I know this CTP docs but the team really needs to put in some effort to create workable documents or adoption may be slow.

Monday, August 2, 2010 8:20 PM

Answers

• Derik,

Understand your concern and we are actively putting lot of effort in to ramping our documentation. This particular feature was a bit hard as this is a new feature in the Sync 2.1 framework and the MSDN docs are not up for it yet. Anyways to answer your question on TemplateScopes.

Sync Scopes which use filters to filter the data had to have individual scopes defined for each unique valuye for the filter. Which also means that we had a duplication of enum/DML sync procs for each of that scope. TemplateScope is moving to a parameterized based filters. In this case you define a template scope that has parameters for filters and each scope deriving from that template specifies static values for those filters. All scopes derived from a template shares the same DML procs and so deprovisioning the template will recursively deprovision all the scopes derived from it. If your scopes were not template then user had to manually deprovision all the individual scopes.

Hope this help.s

Maheshwar Jayaraman - http://blogs.msdn.com/mahjayar
    • Marked as answer by mjayaram Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:06 PM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 8:51 PM

All replies

• Derik,

Understand your concern and we are actively putting lot of effort in to ramping our documentation. This particular feature was a bit hard as this is a new feature in the Sync 2.1 framework and the MSDN docs are not up for it yet. Anyways to answer your question on TemplateScopes.

Sync Scopes which use filters to filter the data had to have individual scopes defined for each unique valuye for the filter. Which also means that we had a duplication of enum/DML sync procs for each of that scope. TemplateScope is moving to a parameterized based filters. In this case you define a template scope that has parameters for filters and each scope deriving from that template specifies static values for those filters. All scopes derived from a template shares the same DML procs and so deprovisioning the template will recursively deprovision all the scopes derived from it. If your scopes were not template then user had to manually deprovision all the individual scopes.

Hope this help.s

Maheshwar Jayaraman - http://blogs.msdn.com/mahjayar
    • Marked as answer by mjayaram Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:06 PM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Maheshwa,

Thanks for the response and yes this does help.

And I know that putting together documents is a pain and is difficult, I accept that.  Thanks for your help.

Derik

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:09 AM