Reboot after Updates issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm running into an issue on some of my PC's when updates are installed.  The PC's are using XP SP3 wtih the same image on the same computer model.  Disk Protect is enabled.  After the updates are installed the PC reboots.  On reboot some of the PC's get the black screen appearing with "We are sorry for the inconvenience..." and options for "safe mode", "last know good configuration" or "start windows normally" appears.  If you press "start windows normally" they do start up normally.  The timeout on this is usually 30 sec ( which I believe is configured in the boot.ini ) but what I'm finding is that with some of the PC's when the black screen appears the count down is 30 secs, some over 300 sec and some have no count down.  If I disable Disk Protect and let the system reboot twice the PC will boot normally, but this is a pain with remote sites.  Any idea how I can get this error to stop or at the very least force the countdown to 30 secs or less?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 5:05 PM

All replies

• the count down ca be adjust in control panel, system, advance setting, startup and recovery (parameter), Or by the boot.ini. Maybe the computer reboot before the update are fully installed?

check this log file : c:\windows\SCTWindowsUpdates.log to see if everything finish fine.

run a scandisk to check for bad sector.

Login as admin and go to the windowsupdate web site

AutomaticUpdateTime is by default set to 16 minutes. Maybe your update take more than that, computer reboot during the installation... HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Morakon Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, October 16, 2009 8:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, October 16, 2009 8:50 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I checked the PC that is showing no count down on reboot.  It just sits at the black screen until you hit the Enter key.

The timeout in the boot.ini is set to 30 sec

I checked SCTWindowsUpdates.log and the last update had 3 updates.  Updates started at 7am, all installed successfully and updates finished at 7:05:26 am.

I doubt its a bad sector ( I will check ) since it happens on multiple systems.

AutomaticUpdateTime doesn't look like its an issue since the update finishes so quickly.  I also only send out ( using WSUS ) a couple updates at a time to insure there is no timeout.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:34 PM