Automatic Updates Won't Get Turned On! RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings everyone!

I have been having trouble with my Live OneCare, It keeps telling me that Action Required, and when I click on the popup window It says that The Automatic Updates need to be turned on, but when I click on the Turn On button I get the following error message popup:

"Unknown Problems are Preventing Windows Live OneCare From turning on Automatic Updates at this time. Please try again later. if Problem Persisit, Contact support"

I have tried many times to turn on automatic updates through that same OneCare Window but I keep getting the same message.

and For the record, I am using Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop computer. and I am accessing the Internet through my company's proxy server. I don't know if this is related.

Would anyone have any clue on how to sort out this issue? any help will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes,

~Salman~

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:26 AM

Answers

• greetings steve!

yes, i was planning to post an update, it actually worked out nicely. here what I did, while I am at work, i realised that my laptop is set up as part of the company's domain, so in other words, when I checkd  the computer name it was actually

salmana-pc.manama.net

so what I did is I took the laptop off the domain and made it part of a workgroup "WORKGROUP".

and I left the proxy settings as they are in the Internet Explorer connection settings, and then after restarting the laptop, I checked for windows updates settings and they were working, I managed to enable the automatic updates, and also the Live ONE CARE was working nicely too, I even managed to download windows updates including the service pack for VISTA.

so, that was it actually.

thanks steve, i really appreciate your help and keepting touch with my problem.

Best wishes,

~salman~

Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:23 PM

All replies

• Is your company using another means to provide Windows Updates to systems on the network? They may have disabled Windows Automatic Updates via Group Policy. The proxy server isn't the issue. However, if the proxy servers requires authentication, you may encounter problems with OneCare itself.

If you go to Control Panel in Vista, and select Automatic Updates, can you enable it from there?

Have you contacted support? If not, I'd recommend doing so -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:53 PM
  • greetings steve!

thanks for the reply mate!
    From what I know, my company isn't using a network based updating system, but i do remember my previous job I had at another place they used to have an antivirus program and it keeps receiving updates automatically during booting of the computer via the LAN.

However, you are right, the proxy that we are accessing the Internet through requires authentication.

I have tried to access the control panel and enable the automatic updates but the radio buttons for that are greyed out

I even tried to check for updates and I can't do that either, I get and error, I can't recall what the error number was though.

~Salman~

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:20 PM
  • If the radio button are dimmed and inaccessible, it is likely that they handle the updates via an alternate path. I assume that this is a company machine? If it is your personal machine, then there's something broken. However, the likely reason for this is a Group Policy Setting that disables your access to Automatic Updates. Touch base with your local support people at the company.

Note that with an authenticating proxy server, you will not be able to get signature updates for OneCare, either. And after about 2 weeks your status will turn red unless you are able to get a clear Internet connected elsewhere.

-steve

Friday, July 4, 2008 12:58 AM
  • greetings steve!

yes, i think that makes sense. I guess what I will do is get my laptop with me home and try to get the updates with my Internet access at home, and see if that works, and same thing with OneCare, I'll check for updates while I am at home.

Thanks steve..I really appreciate your help.

Best wishes,

~salman~

Friday, July 4, 2008 6:05 AM
  • Any update on this, salman?

-steve

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:27 PM
  • greetings steve!

yes, i was planning to post an update, it actually worked out nicely. here what I did, while I am at work, i realised that my laptop is set up as part of the company's domain, so in other words, when I checkd  the computer name it was actually

salmana-pc.manama.net

so what I did is I took the laptop off the domain and made it part of a workgroup "WORKGROUP".

and I left the proxy settings as they are in the Internet Explorer connection settings, and then after restarting the laptop, I checked for windows updates settings and they were working, I managed to enable the automatic updates, and also the Live ONE CARE was working nicely too, I even managed to download windows updates including the service pack for VISTA.

so, that was it actually.

thanks steve, i really appreciate your help and keepting touch with my problem.

Best wishes,

~salman~

Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:23 PM
  • Thanks for the update and I'm glad to read that is resolved. You're welcome, too. :-)

-steve

Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:58 PM