How to access hidden WHS SYS drive folders from PC RRS feed

• Question

• How can I view/access WHS folders on the hidden SYS Drive in the server from my PC? I could view/access when I took the partitioned DATA/SYS drive out of the server and ran in an external hard drive bay however now the drive is back in the server and reset to factory settings I can't locate. I can see/use shared folders on the DATA Drive but nothing regarding the SYS Drive. I am attempting to disable/uninstall WiDMS and replace with Windows Media Center which may be lying uninstalled in these hidden SYS folders - if not then a download. Also I want to remove the uninstalled McAfee Total Protection Trial Version and replace with the already registered version download from McAfee. Is there the equivalent of add/remove programs function within WHS? Where is it? Do I need a particular ADD-IN function for this?

Thanks 
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot access files stored on the System Drive from the Windows Home Server Console or from the Drive Shares.  This is unsupported and there is no reason to.

Also, Windows Media Center does not come with Windows Home Server - nor is it on the disk nor can it be installed on Windows Home Server in any way.

To remove Add-Ins from Windows Home Server goto the Console, select settings, go to Add-Ins, then select uninstall for the Add-In you want to remove.  The console will clost and you will have to reopen it.

To install and Add-In first make sure it is made *specifically* for Windows Home Server - make sure the file ends in .MSI and copy it to \\server\software\Add-Ins  - then as before go to the Add-Ins tab in the settings windows of the Windows Home Server Console but this time selected the uninstalled tab - select the Add-In and select Install.  Once complete the console will close and you will have to reopen it.

All the best,
    Al

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:42 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:41 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for replying.

I have posted various threads attempting to locate the root causes as to why my server crashes. Reading threads and posts from other server users I have located various suggestions: long file names, Kanji characters, WiDMS, seem to be possible suspects as the original of the CHKDSK report I posted identified one particular computer which plays asian character, long name file videos. The file names have now been reduced in size however the Kanji characters need to remain so potentially a problem. Regarding the WiDMS here is an example of what other users have done: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/10380-widms-exe-and-firefly-exe/  There is the suggestion of using Twonky Media Server Add-in to replace. To disable WiDMS I would expect to be able to use either add-ins functionality to remove however as per my other post:   http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Offtopic/thread/e616d44e-cb55-4dae-b91d-56c5a3963978  the add-ins function does not work and the only alternative as far as I can determine is to use another utility to access the SYS folders to view and remove manually(not my favorite choice). If there are other suggestions out there as reliable replacements for WiDMS let me know. Do you know if WiDMS can actually be identified and removed by the add-in function? I was hoping to find an add/remove program function same as W7/XP/Vista etc. Also yesterday McAfee wanted me to replace the trial version file in the SYS folders with the new MSI file they had me download. Again 2 ways possible: add-ins function(not working) or access SYS folders and remove manually(no my favorite choice).

Yesterday I then downloaded the WHS Toolkit v1.1 (32-Bit) for the server and placed inside the add-ins beside the McAfee topwhsaddIn4.9ACER.msi file and again cannot see either file from the WHS admin console. I have been asked to submit a bug report thru microsoft connect today which I will do. 
     http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/b40a33c3-a191-41bb-ac32-13c2aa82ee06

The server console add-in windows: installed/available are blank even though I can see the msi files in the server shared folders. Methinks it may be a security setting that is stopping WHS being able to access/read the contents. All 4 W7 p/c's happily communicate but WHS seems to be an outsider to W7. With the reset to factory settings WHS has not managed to join WORKGROUP? Any idea how to accomplish this within WHS?

Open to further suggestions.
    Regards
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Why not just RDP to the server and do what you need there? 

On your workstation just fire up remote desktop services and put in the IP address of the home server and then the username/password.

http://forums.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=2003218&threadid=2003218&forum=109&product_id=37196&msgcount=6&overclockid=0
    There's some info there about the WiDMS service.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:34 AM
  • Why not just RDP to the server and do what you need there? 

Though Windows Home Server is based upon Windows 2003 SBS, it is not recommended to remote desktop into a Windows Home Server installation or use it from a keyboard/mouse console session.
    --
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:38 PM