Getting updates after a fresh re-install RRS feed

• Question

• I am an on-call technician and have always enjoyed recommending Microsoft products....which in my world is a rarity. I recently picked up a clients system that had a hard drive crash and some yoyo brought a dell OEM XP Home CD to reinstall her OS. That wasn't the problem though. When I arrived I changed the product key to the correct one to activate and had to call Microsoft to get their code during the activation process. All went well and the product was activated. Well, as fate has it after further examination the yoyo messed up all her previous installed programs and left virus's and parasites on the system so I brought it to the shop and did a low level format and a clean install. I used a holographic OEM XP Home edition CD and used her correct COA key code and it activated just fine. SUPER!! But now here is the problem. When I go for the updates the Microsoft site says: Validation incomplete unable to perform validation. (0x80080299) Then in proceeds to tell me why I should have Genuine Microsoft software.  I DO!! After this Microsoft treats me like a bootlegger and renders little help. What is up with this? I realize that because of the amount of times this software has been activated may seem to Microsoft suspisious at best but in no way should render a customer guilty without cause. Oh BTW she had her Hard drive replaced a few years ago as well so there was another activation. Where does one go from here?

Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:05 PM

Answers

• OK, nevermind, I got the impression that it was a Dell.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:33 PM

All replies

• Shop,

If the computer was a Dell, that was what was supposed to have been done..reinstall or cleanly install using the supplied Dell reinstallation CD.

Why did you use anything else?

Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:11 PM
  • The CD I was provided by the client was in a green booklet for distribution only with a new PC. Holographic CD was there. I used the code off her COA in the side of the computer. Nowhere does it say DELL.
    Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:14 PM
  • This machine is an HP Pavilion 523n
    Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:15 PM
  • htpp://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ has solved my issue. I had to do some research myself. It had to do with active X and my security settings. Microsoft it its attempts to prevent piracy is causing faithful customers to become dissatisfied with their products......somehow I feel a bit offended for them to suggest I had an illegitiment copy. They should post this solution of that site after it first gets rejected instead of pointing fingers.
    Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:26 PM
  • OK, nevermind, I got the impression that it was a Dell.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:33 PM
  • Shop,

I have to ask again, why would you use anything but the factory supplied recovery solution when dealing with this?

Assuming the computer came from Hp with XP preinstalled, the proper license for the computer is an OEM SLP, not a systembuilder/OEM or retail.  Right now that's not a problem, but in the future, who knows?

Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:36 PM
  • Dan I jut used what the client provided....she said this was her CD to this computer. It may that the tech who installed her hard drive may have given this to her as he may have updated her to XP Home from 98...I really do not know. But the CD worked fine for activation. SP1 probably does not have the updated active X the new update site requires. Hey, Thanks for your response though. I still think that Microsoft has the ability to determine the failure cause and then have their customers do those updates upon the first update download not just fail them and make theri customers get offended.
    Monday, June 26, 2006 12:11 AM
  • Shop Tech,

I read your questions re: subject above.  I am definitely not very knowledgeable about computers is why I'm asking you about my computer.  I recently bought a used computer in a foreign country (So. Korea) and had it reformatted by a Korean pro computer tech.  (I'm not Korean btw nor understand it.)  Everything was working fine until I signed up to have regular Windows updates.  Now every time I boot up the computer, it gives me the message that I might be the victim of software counterfeiting.  When I go to the ms genuine website, all the print is in Korean so I don't know what to click on to get validation.  Can you tell me what/where on the screen did you go to to resolve your issue in http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/?

Thanks much!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:11 AM
  • If you are getting that NAG as they call it, you probably do have an illegitimate copy of XP as mine did not go that far. I did not get the NAG my problem was active X and security settings. I just let that link do the diagnosing and it told me what I needed. I think there is a way to turn off that NAG if you research it. But as far as updates you will have to buy a legal copy of XP to get those.
    Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:59 AM